Borders filed bankruptcy. About 200-275 stores are closing. Will you still shop there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by chemist562, Feb 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    I happened to read on the front page of the Wall Street Journal (weekend edition) about Borders planning to file bankruptcy this week.

I had a couple of gift cards totalling about $50. I used them (along with two 40% coupons) to buy travel books. Rick Steves Italy & Brussels, London street map, & a Milan book. Used the gift cards up & spent an extra buck. :)

For myself, I usually buy if there is a decent discount like the 33% or 40% coupons that were out in the past. I don't buy alot, only when I need a current,updated travel book such as Rick Steves.

2. pseudoswede
    Original Member

pseudoswede Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was a nice place to sit and study (while having a coffee).

2soonold likes this.
  3. Flyer_Esq
    Original Member

Flyer_Esq Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes I would buy a book there if I had a big enough coupon and/or needed the book right away and couldn't wait for Amazon. Even with the coupon, their prices are about the same as Amazon, so it's not like I save that much shopping there. I tend to go to Barnes & Noble when I want to browse books or sit and read.

4. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    This has been coming for sometime. I expect other large national companies to try this.
    "To big to succeed."

5. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Being about 15 miles from the nearest bookstore, Amazon looks pretty good from here.

2soonold likes this.
  6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    They have been in trouble for some time, still plenty of other options.

7. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had pretty much stopped shopping there awhile ago - occasionally went to a store, but online was always higher prices than B&N for me. So now I do Barnes and Noble online or rarely, in person - their prices and discounts are better. Amazon is my backup.

8. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    For a while they had developed some nice "niche" areas of specialization, and my local store had an active author's appearance and lecture series. All that went away a couple of years ago, and about the only time I visited was to buy half-off calendars.

9. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not counting the discounts, B&N incurs tax and about $7 in fuel unless I can combine the "town trip" with other stops. Plus at least an hour or more of free time. I have Amazon Prime which gives me second day air delivery all year for only $70 (maybe $80?). Main downside is not being able to flip through a book but as I buy several dozen travel books a year I'm pretty familiar with the style and format of the major publishers.

10. pseudoswede
    Original Member

pseudoswede Gold Member

Status Points:
    In addition to on-line bookstores, I think a lot of business went to B&N because of the Nook.

Most B&N stores also have a Starbucks either attached or inside, which probably also drives a lot of traffic.

DenverBrian likes this.
  11. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I personally love bookstores. I also am a heavy Kindle user- as the convenience of 3G download anywhere in the world is too great- and carrying a number of books on a long trip with carryon only is not that fun. What concerns me most is that a number of very interesting authors I have come across as a result of a recommendation in a bookstore- while there is always some degree of this on an online page- it doesn't not and cannot have the same impact as a physical store.

Borders- don't forget- also sufferred through financial decisions to buy back stock using debt to keep their EPS up above target levels. Barnes and Noble went the opposite direction and retired a large amount of their debt in the last 7 years.

The article referred to in the New York Times had a prediciton from a retail consultant that 90% of square footage devoted to bookselling with disappear in ~10 years. I really hope this is wrong- or we will end up in a situation where newer authors don't have a channel to promote their materials.

12. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love to spend time in bookstores, but I have just about stopped spending money in bookstores. In an attempt to declutter my life, I have moved to more utilization of my Kindle as well as using the local library.

I guess all the people like me contributed to the downfall of Borders. I am sure there will be more to follow.

13. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMHO,very large national organizations tend to become increasingly hard to run well as the years go by.[​IMG]

14. auh2o
    Original Member

auh2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    I never liked Borders for some reason. About to get a Kindle but I still like going to Barnes and Noble to see what is new. I just can seem to find the same information on Amazon.

15. MikeMpls
    Original Member

MikeMpls Gold Member

Status Points:
    Our local Borders have appeared "stressed" for quite a while.

I use Barnes & Noble (mostly) & Borders (occasionally) to decide what books to order from Amazon. If I buy anything locally, it's usually because I'm leaving on a trip & have procrastinated too long to get the guide books & maps from Amazon. Most large bookstores have coffee shops, so that is nothing special, and Barnes & Noble stores are much more prevalent around here.

16. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm sad because Borders is the store closest to my house. I always enjoyed browsing there and made an effort to shop there.

Also sad because a friend of mine just got laid off today from her position as a district manager there since a good number of her stores will be closing.

2soonold likes this.
  17. Nicole Blaess-Smith
    Original Member

Nicole Blaess-Smith Silver Member

Status Points:
    I spend a lot of time in Borders (mainly because in Australia we have a quirky stationary store/random gift store inside as well!).
    It's just so nice to be able to browse such a huge array of books in one place. I find the only problem with Amazon for me is that if I don't like the book I can't put it back on the shelf, I have to go to the post office and send it off again.
    I do agree that prices are a wee bit higher than in other book shops like Dymocks/Angus and Robinson but often it's only Borders where you can get the book you 'really want.'

anat0l likes this.
  18. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, but they will have a channel - just not a bricks and mortar channel.

The Kindle Store (emphasis on the word "Store") has allowed me to find all sorts of highly recommended books that I otherwise might have stumbled blindly upon at the physical store, after wasting minutes or hours. The days of the physical store are numbered, but the online channels will continue to proliferate.

I mean, look at MB here - you can get Facebook and Twitter hooks into the content aplenty. We are witnessing a transformation in the way information is propagated. The Borders shrinkage and (eventual) bricks/mortar disappearance is but one, actually minor, consequence of this transformation.

Gargoyle and pseudoswede like this.
  19. Points
    Original Member

Points Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never set foot in one and have no idea where I'd even locate one.

Been buying books from Amazon for a decade and on the Kindle for the last 2 years.

Virtual books and virtual bookstores only in my future.

20. mikew99
    Original Member

mikew99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much for the reminder! I heard about the store closings, but I totally forgot about the 2x$25 Borders gift cards languishing in my drawer. I will try to spend them tomorrow; I hope it's not too late....

EDIT: According to http://www.bordersreorganization.com/, Borders will continue to honor the gift cards. Whew! But I still want to use up the gift cards I have ASAP. Who knows what will happen in the future?

21. BamaVol

BamaVol Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm 10 miles from the nearest bookstore. Most of my books are bought online. There is a Borders in the closest large city. I always stop in when I'm in the vicinity, but only to shop for discount close-out books. I'm afraid I've done very little in the last 5 years to keep them in business. I will miss bricks and mortar bookstores when the last one closes. RIP

2soonold likes this.
  22. brinkers
    Original Member

brinkers Gold Member

Status Points:
    How's this for a coincidence? They've gone belly up in Australia as well, and its a different company here!

2soonold likes this.
  23. Nicole Blaess-Smith
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Both Borders and Angus&Robinson have gone 'belly-up' in AUS. Kinda a shame.. though Dymocks is always cheaper!

JALPak likes this.
  24. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I, for one, will not miss them or the others when (not if) they go so long as the digital book experience continues to improve over the years. And the paper savings involved in the long run are undeniably staggering even to the most eco-UNfriendly among us.

25. Nicole Blaess-Smith
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I can't get into e-readers yet. Nothing beats the smell and actually holding a paperback novel.

JALPak, RKG, inukshuk and 3 others like this.