Border Crossings: South Africa to Namibia

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by MLW20, Feb 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    .My first trip to Africa started out in South Africa. We travelled overland to Namibia and some days consisted of long hours driving on dusty, bumpy roads.

We did a group tour with GAP Adventures (now known as G Adventures). I'm not really a fan of group tours but for a place like Africa I feel that they make a lot of sense. It was also nice travelling with like-minded people.
    After about two days on the trip, we were on our way to Namibia. There wasn't much to see during the drive. On occassion we might see a nice rock formation or a gazelle if we were lucky. That didn't really matter much because everyone was excited to get to Namibia.

To see pictures and read the full post click here

Remky likes this.
  2. Remky
    Original Member

Remky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did this tour in November 2010, and I couldn't recommend it highly enough. Namibia is a beautiful country. Our G Adventures guide and driver were awesome too.

MLW20 likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So tell us... What did you do and see in SA and Nambia? How long was the trip? How many people? Where did you stay overnight? How much did it cost? If you were to go again, would you drive yourself or take the tour again?

4. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was this your first or only visit to Africa?

5. Remky
    Original Member

Remky Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, this was my first trip to Africa. This was the tour I did: http://www.gadventures.com/trips/cape-dunes-experience/DCC/2012/ - There is a longer version that goes on to Botswana's Okavango Delta and ends in Livingstone, Tanzania, and I was jealous of those were able to keep going. This tour is primarily camping, but they also have a more expensive version that uses hotels.

MLW20 likes this.
  6. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    South Africa- spent about a week total (before/after) with my wife in Cape Town. Visited some markets, went up to Table Mountain, Cape of Good Hope, Boudlers Beach to see the penguins, Shark cage diving in False Bay, Jewish Museum, Robben Island, Victoria & Albert Waterfront. This was all on our own asides from hiring a driver to get us to the Cape & Boulders Beach.
    With the tour we visited Stellenbosch, but rather than try wine we did a visit with cheetahs. Also visited Bird Island.

Namibia- visited Sossusvlei sand dunes, Fish River Canyon & another much smaller canyon near to it,
    Visited a Quivertree Forest, Swapokmund- went sandboarding & quad biking, Twyfelfontein rock engravings, saw bits of the skeleton coast, Etosha National Park- game drives & night time watering hole game viewing. I am sure I left out a few things...

We stayed in guest houses, hostels and did some camping. I believe the trip was in the $1,000 range for the tour and some included meals. Activities like sand boarding & quad biking were optional. We also had to pay a little extra to upgrade the truck for our game drives in Etosha.

Our group was about 18 people but the sizes varies.

If i were to visit Namibia again I would not want to drive myself. Many days were made up of lots of driving on roads that are beyond awful, dusty & full of potholes. Luckily, our bus only blew out a tire one time which was very hard for them to replace. I'd rather save my energy for the sightseeing and not use up my energy staying alert and driving.

I was also very jealous of our tour continuing on to Victoria Falls! My wife and I did not have enough time to continue. We flew back to Cape Town for a few days. I kind of regret not flying to Vic Falls for a couple of days before heading back to Cape Town.