Border crossing Shenzhen to HKG - Luohu station to Lo Wu Metro stop

Discussion in 'Asia' started by SpecialK, Jul 28, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone here have experience doing a border crossing at Shenzhen Station (Luohu) => Lo Wu metro stop? Assuming a coworker drops me off at the Shenzhen side, any gotchas doing this? Would anyone here be able to describe the process - things to look for, all that fun stuff? I do know I'd need to clear immigration for China and reclear HKG.

Anyhow, I'll be over there for work. The ferry is my preferred method of transportation, but the schedule doesn't work if I need to stay later on the last day. I also do not want to take the bus across.

Thanks in advance for any helpful tips.

ps - my really preferred way across is a private driver, but sadly, that ain't happening.

uggboy likes this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    We crossed by train (from Guangzhou) at border the HK authorities boarded the train and checked passports it was pretty painless.

uggboy likes this.
  3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done it on foot once late at night with nothing special to report. Just watch the signs and you should be fine. As I recall, it was a bit of a walk to get to the train on the HK side, but not unmanageable with a carry-on size suitcase. If you have eChannel access, they do have the machines at this crossing as in the airport.

uggboy, SpecialK and milchap like this.
  4. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did this just last week. Anyways they don't board trains anymore unless you're taking one of those long haul ones from HK directly to X city.

It's your typical border crossing except by train not ferry. You get off Shenzhen metro at Lowu, follow the signs to go to the exit immigration counters, after that a bit of a walk to the HK side and re-clear. As stated previously, eChannel access is available. Then after short walk to the East Rail Line.

You're also welcomed to do cross border busses that take the Shenzhen Bay (most of them) or Lok Ma Chou (older bus crossing points). Usually less walking, and less people. (Still a lot but less compared to Lo Wu)

uggboy, YULtide and SpecialK like this.
  5. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:

Thank you - and @YULtide as well. Great info. :)

I do not have e-channel access, but may give registration a shot when I get there. I am an AA frequent flier but it's unclear whether they opted in. I've been to HKG 2x in the past year and have a trip scheduled next month, but doubtful that will sway them. All I can do is ask. Definitely need to research e-channel requirements more.

Regarding the bus transfer, I've done that once or twice and was not a fan. I'll stick to ferries and trains for now. :)

uggboy and Sammich like this.
  6. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a feeling that they're not really strict on the requirements...AA isn't opted in but the free Asia Miles is. (No level requirement needed) doesn't hurt to give it a try.

Anywho, when I registered earlier this year the guy did it no questions asked didn't even show any FFP credentials. Took 5 mins tops to register. :)

SpecialK likes this.
  7. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they don't like your FF programme, you probably still qualify with three entries in 12 months.

For details see http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/echannel_visitors.html

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    Sammich, uggboy and SpecialK like this.
  8. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tthat route looks to be a through train? You cleared immigration at Guangzhou and basically stamped into HKG on the train, if I understood correctly? Didn't realize that set-up existed. Now I'm wondering if I just take that train on the way in, to Changping station, since that is close to the factory. Was planning to stay near Hong Kong ferry terminal, but could easily move closer to Hung Hom. Hmmmm.

9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    We were travelling from Guangzhou to Hong Kong (by a high speed train) the train did stop in Shenzhen (but I cannot recall anyone getting off or on so perhaps it was the through train) before ending at Kowloon station
    But I do recall a friend saying that they thought traveling by train was the best way to go between those two cities.

If memory serves they check your documents on boarding and again after you cross into Hong Kong.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    uggboy and SpecialK like this.
  10. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    if your colleague drops you off at Chinese Customs, it is impossible to get lost, you have one choice to proceed to HK customs and board the train, there are no other options :eek:

much less crowded these days as they stopped giving the Chinese day-traders visas to HK

normally you had to fight for a seat in 1st Class on the KTR train, the compartment was nearly empty until Sheung Shui last week

11. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I did this crossing in mid-June as a first timer in Shenzhen and had no issues. You need to go upstairs to do the border crossing iirc and I kinda walked in the wrong door at first iirc, but it took about 30 seconds to fix.

12. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    wow first class on the KCR...totally forgot that existed as I haven't taken it in so long.

I remember back then it use to be empty 24/7 and was actually quite good.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    newbluesea and uggboy like this.
  13. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    1st Class is the only way to ride KTR if it is "rush hour" in HK :eek:

private cross-border limo service is +/- USD 150 these days

Sammich and newbluesea like this.
  14. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not anymore...quite a long line up for the F cabins now :(

I usually take the busses that go through Shenzhen Bay. Really depends on where you live in HK though, if you're in the N.T. might as well take the KCR.

15. Switch2

Switch2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is the visa issued on shenzhen border valid across china? IIRC(circa 2005) it wasn't.

16. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    My search-fu must be off today. I can't find anything on the KTR train, only the KCR, which was a through train. Same thing? Or no?

Regardless, would one have to de-board at the border and get back on?

Eta - looks like one would clear immigration at Kowloon and stay on the train at the border.

Sammich likes this.
  17. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:

Ah yes KCR. my mistake. We were both mentioning KCR. KCR=KTR. Although it's technically called the East Rail Line now after being absorbed into HK's MTR system.

If your friend is dropping you off at the Shenzhen side of LuoHu station, then you'll have to clear exit passport control on Mainland China, walk, clear entry passport control on HK side, take KCR to HK Island/MTR/Central etc.

Edit: just re read your main post. Seems to be a confusion.

- LuoHu (Shenzhen Metro Stop, Pinyin spelling, simplified Chinese).

- Lo Wu (KCR/East Rail Line stop, Cantonese, traditional Chinese)

In writing, both stations are written the same way.

These two are two separate stations operated by two separate corporations. One being in mainland, one being HK. However their stations are connected, and called the same name. Talk about the confusion.

The stations both have exits and entrances to the immigration control to mainland and HK.

If your friend is dropping you off at Luo Hu station (note: Shenzhen metro). You take exit A, A1 or A2 to mainland exit passport control then follow directions to HK entry.

There is absolutely no way border officers are going to board the KCR train for HK clearance. This is only applicable for long haul trains going into or out of interior Chinese cities, but not Shenzhen.

SpecialK likes this.
  18. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:

Thanks Sammich. A couple more questions then, if you care to humor me. I gave my coworker the two options - eithe drop and let me clear at Luohu - or - drop me at Changping and I take the KCR (MTR intercity through train) to Kowloon (Hung Hom). Well he opted to dump me at Changping, so I guess I have a new railroad adventure coming up. :). I'm still not 100 % clear on how immigration works. Do I clear in Chanping, then reclear in Hung Hom? Or do I do both clearances at Changping? I'm so confused. :D

Second question (and I could probably find this on Teh Googles) is TST and TST east metro stop connected underground? I really can't remember. :oops:

Sammich likes this.
  19. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    I should charge you a consulting fee for this now...jk :p

Changping Station use to be called Dongguan Station just a year ago. So if you still see signs saying Dongguan station you'll know it means Changping.

Anyways, If you're taking the Intercity train to HK, you clear exit passport control at Changping station directly before boarding. Then when you get off at Hung Hom, you clear entry passport control to HK at Hung Hom.

You don't have to get off at the border...you actually can't. The train doesn't stop at the border, it goes straight from Changping to Hung Hom.

About your second question, east TST is connected to TST underground but it's quite a walk.

SpecialK likes this.
  20. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you @Sammich! I'll have my people get with your people to settle up the bill. :D. Since my company won't pay for a private driver, don't expect much. But I'll see what I can do.

But seriously, thanks for the info! I always feel a little better if I know what to expect. :)

Sammich likes this.
  21. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm at Changping station right now. I'm in the upstairs waiting room. Other than the Exit and Leave China/to Hong Kong signage, there is no english. No English speakers either. So I'm going to have to go ahead and guess when immigration opens. :)

Supplier handled ticket procurement but the ticket office downstairs (and direction to immigration) was fairly well marked.

Eta - they allowed folks through immigration around 20 minutes before departure. There is a small duty free (?) shop and some seats in the waiting area.

I'll post some pictures once I get to a good internet connection.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    Sammich and milchap like this.