Booted out of ORD Admiral's Club

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Falcon View, Apr 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Falcon View
    Original Member

Falcon View Silver Member

Status Points:
    Between flights today at O'Hare, I decided to kill some time during my 4 hour layover at the Admirals Club on Concourse H. I was transferring from a domestic AA flight to a code share Etihad flight to Abu Dhabi in paid business class. I was traveling on an AA boarding pass (Flight #6007,) purchased on AA.com, and earning full AAdvantage miles. When I tried to enter the Club, I was told "we don't support that airline, you can't enter." I pointed out the above and in return was offered the chance to purchase a a day pass for $50.00. I passed on the offer, figuring I had already given AA enough money with the biz. class ticket. I ended up just waiting around until the Etihad ticket counter opened 90 minutes later and getting their lounge invite. Is it me, or does AA's lounge policy sound nuts?

Chimpy and torbster like this.
  2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like there's a difference between codeshare partner access versus One World partner access. If Etihad was a member of One World you'd likely have no problem with access.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/codesharePartners/etihad.jsp

3. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't really understand this thread. Your title is , "Booted out of ORD Admiral's Club"

How could you be "booted out" when you never entered? :confused:

I have to ask, when purchasing your ticket or sometime prior to your trip, did you review or research the lounge policies?

4. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Weird!!! I should read the Club Access policy so can give an opinion.

5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does Etihad have a lounge at ORD?

(I find the non-alliance codeshare lounge rules to be pretty frustrating. Amex Plat cardholders face the same thing if flying on an AS operated, DL marketed flight - no lounge access.)

East_Yorker likes this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does Etihad have a lounge at ORD?

(I find the non-alliance codeshare lounge rules to be pretty frustrating. Amex Plat cardholders face the same thing if flying on an AS operated, DL marketed flight - no lounge access.)

7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let me offer a few observations -

First, you were not booted out of AC, only denied access. (I was visualizing that you were accused of indecent behavior and dragged out of the lounge by four security guards. :))

Second, for status based access, all One world lounges require your outbound flight to be OW-marketed as well as OW-operated. Your flight was AA-maketed (pass) but Etihad-operated (fail!).

Third, yes, part of this policy is nuts. :) While it would have been OK for other OW lounges to exclude you---after all you weren't their customer---AA as the marketing carrier should have admitted you to its own lounge. Nevertheless, that is the policy and the lounge staff followed it correctly. The policy is consistent with how AA treats its elites. I don't know how much experience you have with various OW lounges, but even when you have access, you'd see that AA is not particularly generous in its lounges.

I concluded at the beginning of my involvement with the frequent flyer game that even large social groups (like MP or FT), even when they have all the logic and reason on their side, will not be able to change airline policies. However, they can help us understand the complex rules clearly so we can derive the most benefit within those rules.

anabolism, bombayhog and MSPeconomist like this.
  9. Falcon View
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, I did it make it as far as as the desk,:) but you're right. Honestly, I thought 'Booted Out' was a better thread title than 'Couldn't get in.' And to answer your question - nope, never checked. I assumed I would have no trouble using the lounge and I got bit. I like AA; I was just surprised to get turned around in the Admirals Club. Live and learn.....

10. Falcon View
    Original Member

Status Points:
  11. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe that one has be allowed in before one can be "booted out."

East_Yorker and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  12. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, the irony.
    AA says the OP has to use Etihad's lounge.
    Etihad says its ORD lounge is JAL's lounge.
    The OP gets to use a OW lounge anyways.

Falcon View likes this.
  13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    How long ago was this?

JAL moved from T5 to T3 about 3 weeks ago. I'm curious about the time frame because if this was recently, it seems odd to me that JAL is operating a lounge out of T5 when it has no flights departing from there. They've started using the FL and AC in T3 since the JAL flights now leave from there.

Also, I wonder which lounge Etihad will use once JAL does close its lounge?

Chimpy likes this.
  14. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    In this case, it seems that possession of the physical (piece of paper) lounge invite was a non-negotiable requirement.

Something similar happened to me a number of years ago at HAM - I was flying HAM-LHR in BA Club Europe. I approached the shared lounge, presented my boarding pass, and was denied entry because I did not have the invite. I hadn't ask for one, thinking that my BP was sufficient.

I found out later that the agent who checked me in was new, and that I was not the only CE passenger who she had forgotten to offer a lounge invitation to. :mad:

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But OP did have a lounge invitation... just not to the AC. ;)

16. Falcon View
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This was today. In fact, I'm in the JAL Lounge now waiting on a mechanical delay. I asked the JAL Lounge receptionist the same question, but din't receive an answer. I didn't push it since she was willing to let me in:)

17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well it probably means her eventual unemployment, so she might not be too keen on discussing it.... hehe.;)

Falcon View and Chimpy like this.
  18. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Partner lounge access can be confusing sometimes. When I flew Iberia in January from Lisbon, IB sent me to the Air France lounge as BA has an agreement with them at that station.

19. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chimpy likes this.
  20. FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
    Original Member

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I came here hoping to read about how the OP caused a ruckus and was booted out of the ORD AC, but I guess it was quite tame and OP was just booted out of the entrance lobby. :(

TheDudeAbides likes this.
  21. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I bought a business class ticket for an international flight with an AA flight number, I would expect access to the Admiral's Club. Before this thread, I would have no idea that was even a question I would need to consider. Thanks to the OP for sharing. And yes, the policy is crazy.

gomike, sunseeker and Chimpy like this.
  22. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's exactly what I was thinking too!
    Thanks for sharing, even though you use tabloid headlines ;)

Chimpy likes this.
  23. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is frustrating. AA is not alone on this.

KENNECTED likes this.
  24. justageek
    Original Member

justageek Active Member

Status Points:
    It's simply not true "figuring I had already given AA enough money with the biz. class ticket." The marketing carrier makes very little money on codeshare flights (which kinda makes sense, right? they're not incurring any of the expenses). I don't think the lounge rule is particularly mystifying, confusing, or "nuts." This is exactly why the operating carrier has a lounge (or a lounge partner at the airport).

25. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not only that but even their published policy (aa.com/loungeaccess) is less than crystal clear for business class passengers. That section does not mention the marketed/operated nuance. However, my access is usually status based (traveling in economy) and I have come to know those rules.