Booking with DreamCheaper

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by viguera, Mar 10, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    No idea of whether this will create a problem -- although I believe that at some point it would -- but this sounds like an interesting approach.

You basically book your hotel room as usual, using any site, then forward your reservation over to these folks in the same way as you do with TripIt. The only catch is that you have to book a flexible rate so that there's no penalty for canceling.

They basically take advantage of the flexible bookings and automatically cancel and rebook your room elsewhere if they find it for cheaper, again using a flexible rate. They continue to do this over and over as long as a cheaper flexible rate is found and notify you of your savings.

It sounds interesting, and if you're fine with using third party sites that might or might not earn you points / stay credit, this might be worth taking a look at.

http://www.dreamcheaper.com/

iolaire likes this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just read the article on that, maybe on techcrunch, seems like a great idea. But I expect it will get closed down since the hotels would rather get you locked into a fix price and for you to not realize that its now cheaper.

Didn't auto slash do the same thing early on?

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup on auto slash.

So dreamcheaper would need my credit card (and other info... address?), yes? And basically sends it to a bunch of other sites that I may or may not know or trust that happen to sell rooms?

Newscience, viguera and iolaire like this.
  4. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    If they ran it like Auto Slash and sent me an email with a link to rebook myself, I'd be interested.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do they cancel your hotel reservation and put you into another hotel without asking? That's what the phrase "and rebook your room elsewhere" in the OP seems to suggest. NO THANKS.

6. trippin_the_rift
    Original Member

trippin_the_rift Silver Member

Status Points:
    They make $$ by charging you a small commission plus the affiliate referral from the OTA website.
    Doesn't work well for anyone who cares about hotel status, points or flexibility.

Or you could use StayAngel which does all this and A LOT more and is designed for direct hotel bookings ;)

iolaire likes this.
  7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think so... I think it means that they'll book you using another site, but at the same hotel.

I could be wrong though, but that's how I read it.

But again, this is definitely one of those things that would work only for the people that don't care about how they book as long as they get a cheap price. Me personally I'd rather have the stay credit and earn points from the hotel chain than save a few bucks by going through another source.

jerrystoneman and MSPeconomist like this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree.....and I also don't want to risk having a reservation at a rate I'm not entitled to use, such as someone else's corporate rate code.