Booking with American but using Qantas FF #?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Toula, Apr 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    This might seem a bit odd, but we need to book some flights to Australia. We will credit the miles to our Qantas accounts because we have Silver status and this will help us requalify.

Our issue is we have an outstanding credit with American Airlines that we would like to use towards these tickets as it will expire in the near future. So my thinking was we could book the Qantas flights using the American codeshare and ask them to put in our Qantas frequent flyer numbers rather than the American FF #. This is important because I believe our Qantas status would allow us to choose seats at time of booking.

Would the booking show under my Qantas reservations in my Qantas FF account allowing me to choose my seat?

Basically what I am looking for is confirmation that my actions are going to lead to the result I want, ie. being able to reserve my seats or is it all going to end in tears?

2. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are two competing considerations. One, most types of AA credit can only be used for AA flights, not codeshares. Two, both AA and QF will give 1 mile/flown mile for their own flights in economy, but only 0.5 mile/flown mile on partenrs if in discounted economy.

So if your priority is QF points, the best is to buy a flight with QF number - either on their own metal or codeshare. However, you can't use your AA voucher to pay for this flight.

If your priority is spending the AA voucher, then you'll probably have to buy an AA flight on AA metal. For discount economy you may only get 1/2 has many QF points as you'd have gotten on a QF flight.

Not ideal, but that would appear to be the choice.

Unless you can trade your AA credit for QF credit. :) Good luck.

3. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for that info. Our intention was to purchase Premium Economy tixs.

However, we have decided that what we will do is SFO-HNL RT to use the voucher and we will buy a separate tix on Hawaiian Airlines (OW) to go HNL-SYD in economy. As the HNL-SYD flight is a day flight and there are two of us we figure we can stand the ride up the back. Will likely buy a Jetstar Starclass to get back to Hawaii but have time to think it over as we are going for 3 months.

That way we have all outstanding credits used and no stress about anything running out.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Book it soon, AA just announced it's canceling SFO-HNL in Sept.

5. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did see your other posting. Luckily we will be able to get there and back before they cancel. Will call today to book.

6. BrewerSEA

BrewerSEA Silver Member

Status Points:
    For future reference, AA doesn't sell premium economy tickets. There is no way to book the AA code in Y+.

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully soon, if they can do it on BA maybe QF and JL will follow soon?

Link #1

Link #2 see post 149

BrewerSEA likes this.
  8. BrewerSEA

BrewerSEA Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's great to hear. I saw the first post re the tariff's being updated, didn't realize that AA coded BA flights were actually bookable in W now. AA hasn't updated their earning chart to show Y+ inventory classes, and W is an existing discount economy class. Is AA offering multiple inventory codes in WTP? On BA, W fares are quite expensive, frequently more than I fares.

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sadly fare codes are not remotely near interesting to me, and consequently I tend to ignore them. I'm not the person to clear this up for you, but hopefully someone else can!

BrewerSEA likes this.