Booking Using Free Night Certificates

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by WanderLuster, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. WanderLuster
    Original Member

WanderLuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a couple of the 2010 Visa MegaBonus Free Night Certificate, Cat 1-4 Hotel burning a hole in my pocket and an upcoming trip to Savannah, GA.

Can these be booked online? Or do I need to call?

Any caveats about how/when the can be used? Other than the Cat1-4, which makes them so much less valuable than the HHonors QF3N certificates.

2. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    You need to call, but it's quick and painless. No caveats, just check and see if there is reward space online first, and you'll get it done that much quicker.

WanderLuster likes this.
  3. WanderLuster
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So essentially, if there is award inventory for a particular hotel then I can use the certificates? That's much easier that I was imagining. Great!

b1513 likes this.
  4. b1513
    Original Member

b1513 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never had a problem using those FN certs.

WanderLuster likes this.
  5. Megabonus Free Nights can be redeemed online. Just pick out your Cat 4 hotel and the confirmation page will show redemption of the cert(s) instead of points.

A couple years ago you needed to call but not anymore. As long as the cert is deposited electronically to your account, you can redeem it online.

And yes, if there's regular award inventory then the cert will work.

6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    +1
    Have never had an issue if there is award inventory available - also can make the reservation online.

WanderLuster likes this.
  7. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just a heads up, your reward stay will typically default to use the Certs first. If you had your heart set on maximizing the value of the Cert (using on Cat 4 only) and you are trying to book a Cat 1-3, its best to call the Res in. The Res desk is always happy to use points but you just need to let them know. I remember how sad I was when I used a cert for a 7500pt Cat 1 and booked my expensive Cat 4 on points 2 months later.

Also keep your eye on the expiration because Certs typically have a 6 month shelf life.

WanderLuster and pjoalfa like this.
  8. hhoope01
    Original Member

hhoope01 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The one caveat to using certs in your profile online is that they need to match or exceed what is needed for your reservation. Since a Visa cert is good for one night, you won't be able to use it for a 2 night reservation. You will need to call Marriott reservations and get them to help you in that case. But if you created two one night reservations, you could online use a different 1 night cert for each reservation.

travelingmore and WanderLuster like this.
  9. For both of those situations, you shouldn't need to call Marriott.

- Booking a low category, want to keep your Cat 4 or 5 cert for later: on the confirmation screen, simply click the "Order new e-certificate" button. That will pull points from your account and leave the existing certificate alone.

- Booking 2 nights but only have 1 certificate: book them as two separate award reservations. One confirmation number will include the existing certificate. The 2nd confirmation number will pull points. I've done this before...it's completely normal; the front desk sees it all the time. Same holds true if you're mixing/matching EEO's, awards, paid nights, etc. I've checked in 4-night stays with 3 confirmation numbers before. Sometimes you have to explain to the clerk in detail what you're doing, but getting a phone agent involved on the front end makes things MORE complicated. Trust me, I've done it... :)

WanderLuster likes this.
  10. b1513
    Original Member

b1513 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually when I have different reservations, with different confirmation numbers, scheduled for the same stay I've had good luck calling and having them link the reservations so I don't have to change rooms. That happened to me once and it was a pain so I try to avoid that from happening again. YMMV.

Counsellor likes this.
  11. Globalflyer
    Original Member

Globalflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just used my Mega Bonus certificate online without any issue! I think once a Mega Bonus cert has been attached to a reservation the only way you can make changes is by calling in.

travelingmore likes this.
  12. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    When booking to use one of my MB night certificates, I didn't notice how to do so on-line... But calling the 800# worked great. I'll have to "play around with the site" a bit more as I'm sure it's user error.

However, the few times I've called the reservation line, they've been very friendly, easy to work with and great at setting up the accommodations I'm looking for.

13. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi,

That is my experience as well. Wanted to add a request for early check-in on a reservation, and I need to call in to add that request.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

Gargoyle likes this.
  14. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just discovered that an existing Hotel Reservation of mine is a Category 4 Hotel. The certificate was deposited to my account AFTER I made the original reservation. How can I use it? My thought was to change the initial reservation to 3 nights instead of 4, and use the certificate for the 4th, and have the two reservations linked. Or am I better off just calling?

...or maybe using it on a different trip.

15. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hi RedTape,

All of the above, I would say:

- What is the going price for your existing reservation? Do you think you will be staying in a more expensive cat 4 in the near term?
    - Is there availability to use your cert? (i.e. maybe book your extra night first, then edit your existing reservation)
    - Would you miss out on any special conditions on your existing reservation?
    - How long is the cert valid, and are you confident that you will use it during this validity period?

- As for linking the reservations, you can do that on arrival at the hotel.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

16. WanderLuster
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I finally made my reservation using my certs. It was as easy as everyone above said!

17. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    ok...existing hotel had no award space, so I hold for another trip. Now I have TWO certs to cover both nights of a trip later this month. Award space is available, but even if I only book one night at a time to use both, it still defaults to 20,000 points per night. Does it convert to certs later in the process? Or am I just blind and cannot see where to apply the cert??

18. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

Yes, it should pull the certificate at the final stage of the process somewhere. I see the certificate showing up at the stage where you enter the guest information.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

RedTape likes this.
  19. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nachos Gracias, GVA! Weekend in Boston...well Cambridge...free with no points deduction. Always good.

20. DCA1K

DCA1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    This thread was incredibly helpful as I just tried to book a hotel using the 2012 Megabonus certificate. On the main page if you input the code I was given, it says the code isn't valid. The only way to do it is to go hunt through each cat 1 - 4 hotel in the area you want to stay and when you go to book, it will default to the certificate. I wish you could search for award availability by cat in an area, but at least I don;t have to talk to telephone reservations (which for silvers is not a great experience...)

21. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    When you search for award availability, you can then filter on a specific category (filters are located on the left) ... that could cut down on hunting ..

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer