Booking two award tix with USA and UA points

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by TravelBear, Mar 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am finding myself with the possibility of having enough points in UA (UR points transfer) for one TATL and enough points in USA for one TATL, both in coach. How difficult would it be to match up two flights for my partner and myself to use together? We are looking at going in October of this year with the goal of hitting ZRH, PRG and BUD. From what I can tell flying into ZRH is best, then we will train it around back to ZRH for departure. Not looking for anything convoluted. Best metal for coach?

Thanks!

BTW, these will be my first awards ticket ever!

2. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Should be no problem. UA.com is much better for checking availability, so ask it to seek 2 seats, phone USAirways to book one seat, then book the other at UA.com !
    Why train it back to ZRH if seats are available from BUD from which U can easily fly home ??

3. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Shouldn't be a problem.

Note that United offers you the option of an open jaw AND a stopover, while US technically allows only an open-jaw OR a stopover, hence you might have an extra leg left over on the United flight when you get back. For example, you could go
    US: AVL-ZRH (train) (train) BUD-AVL
    UA: AVL-ZRH (train) (train) BUD-AVL (months pass) AVL-LAX

Or substitute one of the train rides for ZRH-BUD or ZRH-PRG, but then you'll have to fly home from Budapest or Prague (respectively) on the US Air award ticket.

Search online for "open jaw award us airways" and one of the top hits should have advice on bending the US Air rules. Up to you. Can't vouch for best seats; I would go with whatever gets you there fastest.

miles and smiles likes this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not just use UA for departure & US for arrival? That way you can be on the same PNR etc?

5. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    US doesn't allow one-way award bookings, unless you pay full (round-trip) price.

6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    poo

miles and smiles and B1BomberVB like this.
  7. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Harvson3 #5 is right, to which I second Edekba's "poo!"
    However, Harvson3's LAX idea in #3 is wrong: UA allows only ONE open jaw & a stopover is allowed only on a return award (US--Europe--US,) not a 1-way, so if U mix the cities on the European end, U must begin & end in the same US city! Also, IIRC the stopover must be in a reasonable connecting city!
    But these are OK:
    AVL--ZRH--PRG, train Prague-Budapest, return BUD--AVL.
    CLT--ZRH--BUD, train Budapest-Prague-Budapest, return BUD--CLT-- (months later)--LAX.

8. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two open jaws and a stopover are permitted. See, eg, http://milevalue.com/what-is-an-open-jaw-how-can-an-itinerary-have-two-open-jaws/

9. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points: