booking trips with airmiles on 2 ff accounts?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by seaflyer, Feb 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. seaflyer

seaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone! I am a complete new to teh ff world and I want to thank you for creating such a wonderful and welcoming place for the newbies. :) I have a question that will be completely obvious to everyone else, but sadly, not to me...I've started collecting cc's and accruing points here and there, but haven't redeemed them yet. If i wanted to use, for example, some Alaska Airlines points in conjunction with avios points, would this be possible or would i have to transfer one set of points over the other? It looks like this costs money, and so how is this done?

misman and deant like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're right that it is prohibitively expensive to transfer miles and points between programs in general, assuming that it can be done, but there are a few exceptions such as SPG or AmEx MR points to airline miles. Sometimes programs allow you to book one way award tickets, so that you could create a RT using miles from two separate programs.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    You typically can't combine points from different programs or even different members in the same program into one booking.

You can, of course, book one ticket with Alaska miles and another for a second traveler with Avios miles.

And yes, transferring miles is often costly and rarely worth it. An example where it might be worth it would be when you're just missing a few miles in an account for an award and don't have another easy way to reach the target balance.

Welcome to MP!

autolycus likes this.
  4. seaflyer

seaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to you both! This is very helpful. Along the same lines, it does not seem to be very cost-effective to transfer Skymiles between accounts for 75% extra miles unless you are gunning for a specific flight or holiday and are a few miles too short, correct? One wouldn't do this to just gather up points I assume? Or does one?

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the OP, I thought you had Alaska miles and Avios points. Do you really mean DL SkyMiles here?

miles and smiles likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Skymiles (Delta) currently has a bonus offer for mileage transfers between accounts. I think received a 50% offer.

seaflyer, I have thought about using the bonus to bring my wife's account up to a more usable level. But I decided against it. We have had these miles for years and no concrete plans this year to use them for anything. just because miles are cheap-ish (or cheaper than usual) doesn't mean I need to go out and spend money for them... and Delta seems to have these purchase and transfer bonuses fairly regularly.

miles and smiles likes this.
  7. seaflyer

seaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    @MSPeconomist- I have miles in these three accounts and am trying to figure out how/if I should move them around. I suppose instead of writing 'along the same lines...' I should have said 'as a non sequitor...'!! Thanks very much to you and HaveMilesWillTravel for your advice. It does seem that transferring points for the sake of collecting extra miles with no clear goal is not the way to go. So tempting though!