Booking ticket with points prior to earning CP?

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by Lyssa, Jan 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, I am hopefully close to earning a CP. I have a trip booked for myself in early April. I'd like to have this CP wrapped up by Feb, worst case early March.

My question is, should I book my soon to be companion onto my flight with points now to hold his seat? If so, how do I go about changing it once I have the CP? I've never earned a CP before, so I'm a newbie to this whole deal. I'm not sure what the risk of the flight selling out is if I just wait for the CP and don't do anything else. It's a weekend flight MDW-SAN around spring break time.

2. jimmycopp

jimmycopp Active Member

Status Points:
    Go ahead and book flight..once you earn CP you can add companion to your resv I did it thru CS..but I think it can be done online..CP is a great perk( especially w/ award tix)

Lyssa likes this.
  3. nomflyer
    Original Member

nomflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I anticipate qualifying for CP in 2 weeks. I've already booked 5 trips this year with more to come, so I can report back on my experience.

Lyssa likes this.
  4. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is awesome. Hopefully soon I will have the CP, as well as two standard awards, and of course 110,000 points. Now I just need some hotel points to go with this, I am pretty shy in that area. I have clusters of points with Club Carlson, Choice, etc, but they will pretty much be wiped out after a few trips.

nomflyer likes this.