Booking through Amex Travel

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Handleman20, Jul 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Handleman20

Handleman20 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, I just got a corp Amex card (only green, sigh) and signed up for Membership Rewards. My question is, if I book through Amex's travel portal, does that negatively affect my ability to earn miles/hotel points? I know that's a total noob question but hey, I'm a total noob when it comes to Amex!

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It has no affect on getting points and you will often get some extra perks by booking through Amex. The one caveat is that you can sometimes find better rates than what you get with Amex.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    A
    Are there perks from using the ordinary green card's online booking website as opposed to the Platinum Card's PTS or Centurion's CTS? The only perk I can imagine is the special AmEx select rates on some hotels. AFAIK there's an airline ticketing fee, probably about $35 per ticket which is what PTS charges.

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. websteth

websteth Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked a hotel on the website and Hilton would not honor the points as they saw it as a Travelocity order. But I did get double Membership Rewards.

MX likes this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know of any. I didn't realize that PTS charged a fee. I always use CTS when I am using Amex and they have never charged me a fee. They even book award tickets on any airline as long as I have miles at no cost.

6. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't booked Hilton that way (as I have a Hilton Amex), but I did get points for both Fairmont and Hyatt as well as MR points. Also got an upgrade at Fairmont. (I am a Gold cardmember, though, so that was a specific Gold benefit.)

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    You pay $2,500 a year for the Centurion card....that includes free ticketing! ;)

Do they book award tickets using your airline miles? Or is it simply they will apply your MR points to the purchase of airfare at a penny-per-point?

marcwint55 likes this.
  8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately it is $4,000 per year as my wife also has one. They do book tickets using award miles on any carrier that I have them with. I would never use my MR points at one penny each as a good friend of mine will buy them from me at 1.5 cents each if I ever have too many, although I have seldom ever sold points since we travel frequently.

9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    So how do they do it re the award tickets? They call the carrier and claim to be your authorized representative? How do they see availability - or do they just call the carrier...with you on hold, then go back and forth?

10. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that like most travel agents they have access to airline schedules and inventory. They do usually call the carrier while I am on the phone to confirm everything. If the airline is one of their partners they will also transfer points if I need to from my MR account.

11. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seeing schedules and revenue fare availability is one thing....reward availability is quite another. It seems like they can see award availability? Wow.

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder how good they are at finding award availability versus paying one of the award travel booking consultants. It would be very hard if they didn't have dedicated agents for this.

13. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    They have contracts with wholesalers for hotels at least. I used to take calls from Amex platinum agents for Grand Wailea MR bookings. Rooms were booked out of our block for categories we had block in.

14. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    That may be viable for hotels...but doesn't answer the flight question. Something seems odd about them booking award flights.

15. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not really, could still be contract air, though that'd require a fair number of partners to pull off for the whole world. More likely they simply shell out the cash the airline requires less their commission (if they get any).

Wholesalers do pay travel agencies commissions on air, which is pretty rare otherwise these days.

16. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    It could be aggregators/wholesalers...but it doesn't explain how the OP asserts he is using his airline miles (as distinct from MR points).

17. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, looks like he was asking if he'd earn miles. Which would be yes (if it meets the airlines' fare class requirements). That's one of the beauties, such as it is, of booking with third-party points. Sadly, it tends not to be an excessively good value.

18. Handleman20

Handleman20 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually was asking if I would earn miles/points for my stays. It looks like, from everyone here, that I would likely get my FF miles (in addition to MR) but it would be hit or miss on the hotels.

Thanks!