Booking RT award segments as one-ways

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Tlamm, May 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Tlamm

Tlamm Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi, newbie here. Just wondering if there is a drawback booking one-way/one-way award tickets on CO/UA? Since their award chart 'talks' in one-way miles needed, I figure one can book tickets in one-way segments if the return segment is not available yet (ie, still >330 days out thereby not being able to book yet)? Thanks.

2. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    One salient difference: round-trip award tickets come with a free stopover.

For example, you can fly IAD-FRA, hang out in FRA for a week, FRA-FCO, hang out in FCO for a week, then go home FCO-IAD, all on a single round-trip award.

If you booked that as two one-ways you could only do a one-way IAD-FRA-FCO plus a one-way FCO-IAD. (You would, however, be able to build a double open jaw trip -- for example IAD-FRA-FCO followed by FRA-EWR...)

desamo likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two PNRs could also mean two change/redeposit fees.

On the other hand, as a 1K I like booking one-ways as it makes changes really easy for me.

4. Tlamm

Tlamm Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you mherdeg and HaveMileswilltravel. Something to think about - the redeposit fees and the stopovers. Can't quite understand 'open-jaw' bookings. Sorry. I'm new to this. My plan to fly MCO-MNL. Stay MNL for 2 weeks. Then MNL-DPS and stay at DPS for 3 weeks before returning DPS-MCO. I thought I can book first using miles for the MCO-MNL segment, then book locally flights MNL-DPS (and paying) and use miles again for the DPS-MCO booking later. Does this sound ok? Or, am I wasting miles by paying and not including the MNL-DPS segment to the itinerary?Don't know if I have enough miles to include MNL-DPS in this itinerary? Thanks.

5. lrluis

lrluis Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you can swing a low level MNL-BKK-DPS one way intra-Asia business class ticket on Thai, it should only be 17,500 miles and would be a really good way to burn miles.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming you can find the inventory, this entire itinerary can be booked as a single award, including the MNL-DPS trip, for the same price as just MCO-MNL + DPS-MCO. Basically by booking as a round trip you get that middle segment for free. If you book it as one-way trips you do not get that bit included.

If you are really worried about the inventory disappearing (and you find it at 330 days out) then you can book the one-ways. Another option, assuming you're willing to pay the change fee, is to book the one-way award to MNL initially and then, when the other dates are bookable and the inventory is there, change the award to add the MNL-DPS and DPS-MCO segments. You will pay the award change fee but you can convert the one-way trip to a return trip, including the stopover, if you want. I recently did that because I only had enough points for the one way at the initial booking.
    No need to spend extra miles on it as it can be included in the MCO-MNL//DPS-MCO award for free.

lrluis likes this.
  7. Tlamm

Tlamm Active Member

Status Points:
    HI Irluis, thank you. Is the 17,000 in addition to the 60,000 miles (assuming that this is the total for the RT award). Thanks.

8. Tlamm

Tlamm Active Member

Status Points:
    Dear Wandering Aramean, thank you. Will look into the award change fee converting a one-way to the RT.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's 17,500 for OW in business class on that route. The 60,000 miles RT that you're seeing would be coach.

lrluis likes this.
  10. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if this is correct, so if someone can help with this - if booking as a RT you have to fly over the same ocean both directions, whereas if you book as 2 one-ways you can fly either direction - is that right?

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sortof. The official rule is that you must cross the same ocean. The website has a habit of booking micro-RTWs with some frequency.

12. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two one ways let you do Asia via the Atlantic and Pacific. Speaking from experience...

desamo likes this.
  13. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tangent question about change fees - if booked on an F award but part one leg is in J, if F becomes available on that leg is there a change fee associated with that or not because I am already paying F prices?

14. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    No. You'll pay the F prices up front, confirm in J, and waitlist in F. When F clears, they'll re-issue your ticket. No fees involved.

I think the important thing is to ensure that they've pulled F miles to begin with, otherwise trading-up will have a redeposit fee..

15. dkelly1110
    Original Member

dkelly1110 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that will not result in a change fee since you are not changing the routing, origin or destination. You are simply changing the cabin of service of one segment for which you already paid for.

16. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is the waitlist to F automatic or do I have to request it? What if its on a partner airline, not UA?

17. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You gotta call. You can only waitlist on UA metal; if it's partner, you'll need to monitor availability yourself.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  18. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, that's what I figured.

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    See this recent thread for discussion of change of cabin fees:

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/should-united-have-charged-me.34904