Booking prepaid night for brother

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by mg79, Nov 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mg79

mg79 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a few nights short of qualifying for diamond this year so I'm thinking of booking a few nights for my brother who is traveling around san diego/las vegas.

If I make the reservations under my name/account and prepay with my credit card and put my brother as a 2nd guest, would it be possible for him to check in and just say I'll arrive on a later flight?

More importantly, would I get stay credit?

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe... Maybe not. I have no personal experience with situations like this, but read that some properties insist on the person to be credited for the stay show up at the front desk during the stay. Which, frankly, is reasonable since status is for those who stay frequently at hotels, not those who just pay.

You might be able to get away with it if your brother checks in via one of those kiosks (he'll need your credit card, I think).

3. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you will.

If you book the advance purchase rate, he should only have to produce a CC at check-in for any incidentals. Other than that, he should be fine to check in at the desk, and get your Diamond benefits.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  4. mg79

mg79 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, though my primary concern is stay credit, not diamond benefit.

5. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still should not be an issue. I speak from personal experience with this matter..

6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    bolding mine, 99.999999999999999999999999999999% (that should be enough 9s:)) of the time there will not be an issue.

There have been reports of front desk personnel asking to see the primary person but extremely rare & I would raise holy hell with a hotel if I had authorized a second guest (& even put in the comments section that the 2nd guest may check in) to check in and they were not allowed to. Very frequently I have to work late so am taking a later flight out to join the person(s) I'm traveling with, they are authorized 2nd guests on the reservation and have never had a problem checking in.

Gargoyle and FriendlySkies like this.