Booking on Travelocity...but at a cost?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by FetePerfection, Mar 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I saved over $800 on multi-city travel through Travelocity on Delta. Sounds good so far, until I discovered Delta changed my direct CDG-MSP to CDG-BOS-MSP on a dinky plane and crappy seats. After holding for 30+ min with Travelocity, I learned they knew nothing about the change and couldn't help. I called Delta and after a 40+ min wait just to speak with someone and another 15 min with this person, I was changed back to my original flight and thankfully same seat.

Does this mean customers of third party agents are the lowest of low in the pecking order? I have learned to periodically confirm my reservations and seats, however I never expected to be bumped from my original flight to a less-than-desirable connection.

What gives? Is this common practice? If Delta doesn't want Travelocity business, why book it?

gregm likes this.
  2. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    While booking on Travelocity, was there a little box you checked or some fine print that said "Delta reserves the right to change your itinerary or screw you over (as long as we get you there) at any time"?

3. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for clarifying. Even with all my wait time with Delta and Travelocity, I'm still money ahead but big lesson learned!

gregm likes this.
  4. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stuff like this is one reason I always book flights/hotels through the operators themselves, rather than through 3rd party sites like Travelocity, Orbitz, etc, even if it's more expensive. I'll even try to avoid codeshare flights if I can. Much easier to resolve problems when you don't have to go through a middleman.

monitor, FetePerfection and gregm like this.
  5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I'm not a fan of 3rd party sites either, I can see how they appeal to the budget-conscious traveler. I always book through Delta.com for my flights and Marriott.com for my lodging. I will, however, admit that while in Europe, I use Expedia.com to book non-branded hotels and actually have accrued a substantial amount of reward points.

FetePerfection and WilliamQ like this.
  6. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    So can I, but I'd rather pay more and have piece of mind that any problems will be that much easier to resolve.

FetePerfection and gregm like this.
  7. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. That's why I'll only trust buying non-Marriott/Hilton/Starwood etc... hotels. So far, haven't had any issues.

WilliamQ likes this.
  8. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    This happens with hotels a lot, too. I once "saved" a bunch booking a Sheraton (return visit) through hotels.com and got stuck in the worst possible room. I started to complain to an assistant manager about not getting a "regular" room and he immediately said that hotels.com and other online cheap sites always get the old, crappy rooms.

He immediately changed me to a regular room and said that in the future call the hotel directly. And that they would match any online rate found and give me my usual room. That's worked not only at that hotel but others, too.

9. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, there's nothing like the truth but that SUX!

WilliamQ likes this.
  10. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you saying that this is like a reverse price guarantee and you end up booking direct through the hotel's portal using a matched rate by pointing them to an online site's offered rate?

gregm likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hotels are much more likely to screw with OTA bookings than airlines are. They definitely know that you booked elsewhere and it costs them 15-30% of the rate so they're rarely happy about it. I've successfully called in and negotiated rates with the front desk based on OTA prices many times.

With airlines there are fewer differences but some still exist. I doubt that the flights were changed because it was an OTA booking versus some other reason but it is true that when you need help with the ticket (in advance of the day of travel) you generally are asked to deal with the travel agent. In the case of the OTAs that's someone in a call center, not actually a travel agent.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  12. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Easier than that. I just did my research online then called a hotel direct, told them what ota.com or whoever is offering, and they would match. Works a surprising amount of the time. Their goal is to fill rooms at pretty much any price, although they try to maximize that. Much more flexible than airlines as there's usually much more competition.

WilliamQ and LETTERBOY like this.
  13. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I still do not understand why my itinerary would change so drastically unless the attitude at Delta is, this will teach you for booking with an OTA. Of course they don't care about me and I understand they're not doing this to me personally, but it certainly makes me want to think again, next time I look at an OTA.
    I will not relax until I'm actually on my original flight and sitting next to my daughter, as planned. Thanks for weighing in with your thoughts MP'ers.

WilliamQ and gregm like this.
  14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you provide some additional details? What was the actual flight you were booked on and what was it switched to? Was there a schedule change, even a minor one? Airlines are not in the habit of changing passenger bookings to different flights just for fun, even if they did book on an OTA.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  15. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    See original post -

gregm likes this.
  16. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    !Caramba! Hombres y mujeres.... not so fast to condemn the OTA process. There are ups and downs to this. It's true that with a single-carrier itin this can be more straightfoward - you won't have those calls to the OTA where they place a three-way with the airline to resolve the issue.

However, with multi-carrier itins it's the reverse. I had FD itins booked for EZE via GRU last year. UA/JJ. Via OTA. When JJ's schedule changes bombed the itin, I was able to call in and get this fixed more easily than I would have done had I booked the entire itin via either JJ or UA (assuming that were even possible which for some FD, as you know it's not). UA doesn't want to change JJ segs and v.v. Through the OTA, on the three-way call, I was then rebooked into full Y for those sectors which yielded several useful collaterals...not only extra PQM/RDM on MP, but I was then also able to change inbound from EZE to the much more convenient AEP on schedule grounds....and then get out of the original hideous 0600 launch from EZE to a more realistic 0920 by simply asking at the airport...full Y flex was handy. So I think it can sometimes be more effective to book multi-carrier itins on an OTA from a service viewpoint - one size doesn't fit all. I can't remember if that was PL or TL or X.es but anyway.

That exempts vayama, the bandits, who contributed to the reneging of one of my RGN itins and it took SQ themselves to fix it for the SQ sectors even though it wasn't their plate.

Now, you here on the DL board all know very well how seriously DL takes its "Team" integration with SkyTEAM....resolving issues even with codeshare/DL marketed sectors on Tier 1 partners is not a gimme. In fact, one could use DL's own description to characterize not only this particular process but all other SM aspects...that is...

[​IMG]mejor en su clase [​IMG]