Booking on LAN with Avios

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Vvasquezesq, Apr 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Vvasquezesq

Vvasquezesq New Member

Status Points:
    I am planning a trip in November to Chile and Argentina. I am having some difficulty booking the Santiago, Chile to Bariloche, Argentina. This appears to be because the flight to Bariloche is to a different airport (AEP) than the arrival from Chile (EZE). Is there a way to do this?

Additionally once I could not do the above itinerary I was trying to book the AEP to BRC part of the trip from 11/22 to 11/27 and the BA website shows no availability. Is there a way to find out if there are no award seats left or if there is just a problem with BA seeing the LAN availability? Several threads here seem to indicate that BA and LAN reservation systems don't like each other. When I called BA, the agent seemed to indicate that even availability online was not accurate. I haven't finished the booking for different dates bc I really wanted the 22nd to the 27th dates. Any thoughts are appreciated.

TheTravelAbstract likes this.
  2. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are two ways to book flights using Avios.

(1) use ba.com; or
    (2) ring BA.

If (1) doesn't work (or your itinerary is too complicated for ba.com to handle), try (2).

3. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bienvenidos a MP Vvasquezesq!

I hope I can provide you with a bit of help.

BA.com does have some bugs so if it gives you problems just start your search over again and see if that helps.

If it doesn't than you can call BA but they can have you on hold for a while. They always seem to be having a high volume of calls to deal with. I wonder why?

Anyway, back to your travel plans.

EZE is the major International airport of Argentina and AEP is the main domestic airport.

That is why you get your international leg, SCL-EZE and domestic AEP-BRC. But you can fly SCL-AEP if you so choose.

For SCL to AEP there is only one flight that leaves at 9:15 and Arrives at 11:15. The 21st and 23rd are both available. For SCL to EZE I found plenty of flights on the 22nd but that doesn't change the fact that....

AEP to BRC has space on 20th, 21st and 23rd but none on the 22nd. All the flights are morning/afternoon time. Meaning you would need most likely have to stay the night in Buenos Aires.

AEP is in the middle of Palermo, a very trendy barrio, and maybe you can spend the night in Buenos Aires and catch the morning flights to BRC. While EZE is 50 minutes outside of the City Center and cabs are expensive.

Return BRC to AEP does not have 27th but does have 28th or 25th as the next closest.

I am sorry that there is no award space on your exact dates. But maybe more award inventory will be loaded before your trip? It could happen but it is not guaranteed to happen.

You should be able to access partner awards by going to ba.com->spending avios->book flights with avios.

Then you put in your airports, dates and enter.

After which you are taken to a landing page that shows no BA award space and two different prompts to "Include Partners", one is red and one is blue. Click either one.

You should now be searching LAN award space and click on the "7 days later" to find different dates.

If you find yourself needing a visual to understand all of this check out this video walk through on partner award bookings with Avios.

Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions!

Good luck and enjoy your trip. Bariloche is amazing.

4. Vvasquezesq

Vvasquezesq New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for all your posts. I have been trying to book through the BA site and have also called in. Neither attempt helped the situatioin. My problem and therefore question at this point is the lack of knowledge on whether the dates I want are sold out and I should try to wait or whether there are no flights and waiting would be useless.is there a way to find out accurate award availability since when I contacted BA they said that the system was showing "phantom availability" and even dates surrounding my planned travel were not as available as the BA website made it seem. Again, any thoughts are appreciated.

TheTravelAbstract likes this.
  5. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the BA agent you spoke to does not know what they are talking about. Yes, as I stated in my first post, your dates of travel are not available.

Also it this flight is on LAN Argentina whose airline code is 4M and that is different from LAN Airlines that is LA. Maybe that is a problem?

However I can book a flight on 11/23 AEP to BRC and 11/28 BRC to AEP right now. It is available on BA.com but you need to "include partners" Click on the yellow area's I highlighted in the picture:

BRC-AEP.png

Toula likes this.
  6. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very good advice.

You can fly to BRC from SCL via AEP there are no direct flights from SCL that I know of. Best to try searching for each sector separately but finding availability for two flights at the times you want will be tough. Cost in Avios will be 7,500 one way on each sector.
    It is a lovely area but has more of a European style than S American.

TheTravelAbstract and Toula like this.