Booking on flybmi? eg. BSL-LHR-EDI possbile?

Discussion in 'bmi | Diamond Club' started by flospi, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. flospi
    Original Member

flospi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys... I am looking into two trips to Scotland later this year. One to EDI and one to ABZ. As I am DC Gold, I wouldn't mind hopping on an combination of BD flights. But as usual if I try to look up BSL - EDI/ABZ it comes up with the excuse that they don't operate this route. Which is not true, as you can connect either via LHR or MAN.
    So... is there any way to trick flybmi.com into booking this, or do I really have to use swiss.com or a travel agent?

2. FlyingOnceMore
    Original Member

FlyingOnceMore Silver Member

Status Points:
    All very normal with bmi, some things never change; they have yet to load the ability to book through fares for any of their new routes onto flybmi.com. A few fares have been loaded via GDS, BHD-RAK is one such example, and you can find which routes by playing with ITA. If the fare is there try Opodo, it was the only place, last week anyway, that I could get to price them with any success.

You might also be interested to know some of the fares I did find were excellent value, particularly in Business Class. Sadly this news is now irrelevant.......they were only available for purchase until 18/02/11. Of course bmi didn't advertise these through fares alongside those from LHR; that would be too risky........it could have resulted in people like you or me actually buying a ticket!

flospi likes this.
  3. flospi
    Original Member

flospi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks FlyingOnceMore... I guess they loaded the through fares then. I found them on ITA before, but wanted to book on their homepage. A couple of minutes ago I booked my flights on Lufthansa. BSL-MAN-EDI-LHR-BSL
    So I guess my question still stands. Will it ever be possible to book BD connecting flights on flybmi.com?

4. FlyingOnceMore
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's bmi we're talking about; they will get round to it eventually. As with booking bmi to bmi connections on flybmi.com today, which combinations they make available is a different matter....

5. flospi
    Original Member

flospi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am officially astonished now! A bit after posting here, I posted something similar to the bmi page on Facebook. Social Media team asked me to forward my request to open@flybmi.com, from where they forwarded it to their res team. Just now I got a reply that the routes are now bookable on flybmi.com and they even added a few more!
    Seems they do listen to their customers once in a while!

6. FlyingOnceMore
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Do they all work though? I had to laugh at the bmi ad on local radio here today banging on about the sale "Belfast-Bergen for £43 one way, book today at flybmi.com". Try it.....

7. alex0683de
    Original Member

alex0683de Silver Member

Status Points:
    One thing to consider is that bmi also has non-stop flights ZRH-EDI on some days of the week. Depending on where near BSL you live, this could actually be faster and more convenient than connecting via Heathrow.

By the way, expedia.de has no problem at all to find flights for BSL-LHR-EDI, I'm sure it will be the same for other travel websites.

8. flospi
    Original Member

flospi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I tried some of them on flybmi.com and it worked.
    And I guess it worked on most travel websites, even though I only looked them up on swiss.com and lufthansa.com where I finally booked them. I know about the direct ZRH-EDI flight, but you have to really book in advance to get reasonable prices on that flight, as it's only an Embraer 135 or 145 that's on that route.

9. alex0683de
    Original Member

alex0683de Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to know that the ZRH-EDI flight is doing well. I flew it once when it was very new, but since I no longer live in Switzerland I have not been following it.

10. flospi
    Original Member

flospi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure how well the flight is doing... I was looking up my dates 10th to 13th of June and the direct ZRH-EDI-ZRH would cost me around CHF 850 (2 resp. 3 seats left in that fare) whereas the connecting flights BSL-MAN-EDI-LHR-BSL were CHF 350 and I found them for less than CHF 300 today somewhere. If the flight was doing really well, they should switch to an A319, at least on certain dates.
    Actually I'm really wondering, that there is only an Embraer on that route. One would suspect that more people would be interested to fly to EDI... I mean, there are 3 daily flights from ZRH to MAN with LX... Or is Easyjet from BSL/GVA canibalizing all the possible pax on that route?

11. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    bmi offers BSL-EDI as a throughfare ticket, prices start at 155CHF + tax:

Code:
    FQDBSLEDI/ABD/DAUG11/R,UP
                                           TAX MAY APPLY
    ROE 0.98416 UP TO 1.00 CHF             SURCHG MAY APPLY-CK RULE
    01AUG11**31OCT11/BD BSLEDI/NSP;EH/TPM ...../MPM   891
    LN FARE BASIS    OW   CHF  RT   B PEN  DATES/DAYS   AP MIN MAXFR
    01 ENCCH                    155 E NRF E27MAR   -   +  + 1  12M R              
    But, as I going to price it, it turns out that a combination of different fares offers a lower price:

Code:
    20 NMNCH+EMO* *          * P1         *    238.20  *RB    *Y
    REBOOK TO CHANGE BOOKING CLASS AS SPECIFIED
    LAST TKT DTE 02MAR11 - SEE ADV PURCHASE
    ------------------------------------------------------------
         AL FLGT  BK T DATE  TIME  FARE BASIS      NVB  NVA   BG
     BSL
     LON BD  0162 N *N 10AUG 1610  NMNCH           10AUG10AUG 20
     EDI BD  0064 E  E 10AUG 2100  EMOWBMI         10AUG10AUG 20
     MAN BD  1586 W *W 17AUG 0835  WOWBMI          17AUG17AUG 20
     BSL BD  0301 E  E 17AUG 1215  ENCCH           17AUG17AUG 20

CHF   120.00      10AUG11BSL BD LON36.57BD EDI20.49BD MAN
    EUR    94.00      28.37BD BSL36.07NUC121.50END ROE0.984160
    EUR    67.84YQ    XT EUR 7.52UU EUR 14.20GB EUR 43.43UB
    EUR    11.21CH
    EUR    65.15XT
    EUR   238.20
    RATE USED 1CHF=0.778507EUR
    PRICED WITH VALIDATING CARRIER BD - REPRICE IF DIFFERENT VC         
    So, prices start at about 240EUR or 313CHF.

12. alex0683de
    Original Member

alex0683de Silver Member

Status Points:
    It has always been an Embraer because the route is flown by bmi Regional. If they can find people to pay the fares they ask, I think the flight is doing very well indeed (assuming it goes out reasonably full). A full Embraer probably makes a lot more money for them than a A319 at 70%.

13. Yes, because the small numbers available command a higher yield.

And most Regional routes also have a corporate deal behind them - some with guaranteed spends.

14. FlyingOnceMore
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Quite. Revenue Management haven't even begun to sort out the mess that is pricing when they do mainline domestic runs at the weekend. When you look at BHD-LHR for example, no matter that every A319 service that day has tickets from £27, there'll be a flight or two where the only ticket available is Flex Y at £197. Don't even have check to know it's a Jungle Jet.