Booking multiple Avios tix to minimize miles?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by riverchica, Jan 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm planning a trip to Argentina this spring and I've noticed that adding the SCL-MDZ segment onto our flights pushes the distance into the next tier of Avios required for redemption. It's much cheaper in miles (same in taxes/fees) to have 2 separate roundtrip tickets (US-SCL and SCL-MDZ). Is there any reason not to book these separately?

2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just the usual things that go with having two separate tickets for different bits of your overall trip rather than one ticket containing a connection.

If you have a single ticket from A to B to C that contains a connection at B, the contract is to get you from A to C. So if there's disruption, the airline still has to get you from A to C.

If you have a ticket from A to B, and a separate ticket from B to C, you're making one journey from A that ends at B and then a completely separate and unconnected journey that starts at B and ends at C. So if you're late getting to B because your A-B flight was delayed, you may have no-showed for the second flight in the same way as if you'd overslept or your car had broken down. You might find that your B-C ticket has just become totally worthless. And there will be no contractual obligation to through-check your bags from A to C, which can sometimes bring nasty surprises.

riverchica likes this.
  3. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, I couldn't figure out why the mileage was jumping up so much to add the SCL-MDZ segment. It pushes the mileage to 5,580 which, based on the Avios distance chart, should be 30,000 Avios. But it's pricing at 60,000 Avios, I think because it's on 2 OneWorld partners. Geez, 30,000 Avios difference???

4. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you looking at the one way pricing and thinking it is roundtrip?

Looking at award chart myself it looks like 69,000 each person roundtrip coach LAX-SCL-MDZ. round trip. 30,000 one way for LAX-SCL and then 4500 for SCL-MDZ each way.

5. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was just talking about the one-way pricing. DFW-SCL is 25,000 one-way and SCL-MDZ is 4500 one-way. But put them together and, presto!, it's 60,000 one-way.
    There's a separate chart for distance-based awards that are 2 or more OneWorld partners and it seems to bounce to that distance-based pricing. Anybody else had this happen when trying to book Avios awards?

6. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never done this myself, but it does seem to be exactly what happens when you use two or more partners.