Booking Lufthansa Awards with US or UA Miles

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by merice107, Oct 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is more of a newbie question but I figured I'd post in a forum with a more direct group of experts...

I know this has been discussed in many ways before but are there ways to book an award flight on LH in business class prior to two weeks before the flight? I have read many people say that this is not possible for first class, but I was not sure about business. What about economy?

I'm not looking at traveling any time soon, but once the 747-8 comes to ORD, I would love to use some US Air or UA miles to get on that beauty upstairs in business class:cool: .

If I wanted to do ORD-FRA-NRT, could I book the ORD-FRA segment in economy and the FRA-NRT in business? And then if/when something opens up on the ORD-FRA flight, move up (literally) to business. I know that if one segment is BC, then you get charged the miles for the whole trip in BC, so upgrading should not cost anything extra then right?

All in all, I want to fly BC on LH but can't afford to wait until 2 weeks before flying.

MX likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    searching UA.com shows Y & J seats. Its' the F that you have to wait for.

If you change classes I believe UA will charge you a fee unless you are an elite.

AUSsie and merice107 like this.
  3. Jeanne23

Jeanne23 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I easily got a ticket from the USA to Europe in Business on Lufthansa 9 months out using US miles. I used ANA's search to find whether or not there was availability. I had made a list of Lufthansa hubs, but FRA definitely had the most availability. There was a random two weeks that had absolutely no availability that really discouraged me, but that looked to be more of a fluke after I realized the weeks before and after that had availability.

merice107 likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you book with UA points and book one segment in Y and one in C, paying for C for the whole trip, then you can change the Y segment to C should the C award seat open up. I do not believe there will be a charge for that change.

I have no idea how US treats the situation.

edekba and merice107 like this.
  5. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure about this specific case but US charges for changing classes normally. And for US AFAIK you cannot mix and match classes. I may be wrong though

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  6. huynhc

huynhc Active Member

Status Points:
    you can mix classes with US Airways. However it is stated in T&C as of 01/2013, USDM cannot redeem for LH F. Agent roulette time?

merice107 likes this.