Booking help is it to late?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by jeffrey930, Sep 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jeffrey930

jeffrey930 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello, I would just like to ask all the expert here at milepoint if its to late to book a flight to philippines this December 8 and returning December 29 last minute plan going to attend a wedding on dec 20 @ Boracay. Anyways i just started collecting miles last year and i did not book my first award yet. I tried united airline website no availability there for december. I would like to try to look for award first before buying the ticket $1500 each for cathay on that date X2 that could save me $3K thats a lot of money for me. I also check british airway website for availability for cathay nothing there. Can i route somewhere in asia maybe japan or hongkong din fly british airway to philippines? any ideas on how i should find availability on this date? thanks for any help.

Points i have.
    1. British airway= 73,800K
    2. United airlines = 112K, wife= 65K
    3. Ultimate rewards= 145K
    4. Korean air = 78K family account my dad i could use it.
    5. MR= 50K
    6. AA= 61,420 ( waiting for 19K from wyndham rewards transfer, just got approved for Citi 50K business, but that would take a while to get the bonus)

Coach ticket is fine for us. any ideas?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Starting where?

3. jeffrey930

jeffrey930 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Opps forgot about that. Chicago to Manila (MNL). I even tried your tools to find availability. Thanks I think I'm gonna end up just buying the ticket this time. save the miles for Europe in the future. Even one way award would save me money! Thank again for any help.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My tools are a bit messed up right now apparently. :eek:

The outbound can be had on the 9th if you are a bit flexible. Look at ORD-LAX-ICN-MNL or ORD-FRA-BKK-MNL. I built the 1st one manually by searching LAX-MNL and ORD-LAX. The latter just comes up on its own if you search ORD-MNL on the 9th.

Getting home on the 29th is the challenge. There are award flights available a few days earlier if you're willing. Or, as you note, the points can be saved for another trip.

The one-way flights I was looking at were coming in around $900-1000 from MNL-ORD on those dates. You can also get a one-way MNL-NRT-SFO(-YVR) ticket on NH/UA for around $1700 and then just get home from Chicago (or Vancouver) as you see fit.

guberif likes this.
  5. jeffrey930

jeffrey930 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks a lot WA I will look into this tonight when I get home.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Happy to help.

The problem with my search was apparently only a problem if you put your FF# in to the form in lower case. :rolleyes:

I've fixed that now.