Booking/fare codes on AAvacations.com

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Ed74, Feb 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed74

Ed74 Active Member

Status Points:
    I was looking to book to Europe on the AAvacations website in order to book both flight and hotel together to save a few bucks. My thinking was to book coach and to hopefully upgrade to business with miles. Of course to even know how likely I would be to accomplish this I need to know the fare code of the seat I'm buying. I can't find this information before the actual purchase of the seats. From looking at the seat selection pop up, the only seats available are wing and aft so I suspect the fares are discounted.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about AAvacations specifically, but these sites usually use a contract air fare class. I don't believe they're generally upgradeable (the ones I used on a prior job were not).

3. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used AAvacation on the trip to hawaii and it was a Q class, I only got mile point on AA but no hotel points which was a waste bec I lost 1000+ points to save $100 and in retro it wasnt worth it for me specially if your plan changed

4. Ed74

Ed74 Active Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. Thanks for the responses. This is what I suspected.

Booked a trip with my family on AAvacations last year to Hawaii. Wife and I were in FC on a paid ticket but parents and sister/BIL were in coach. I felt bad that they were assigned the back middle seats next to the lav. Really bad seats. Try as I might to change their seats online from the day of booking to practically immediately before departure, there were just no seats "available". Aircraft was 763.

It's a shame that booking through an AA branded website relegates you to second class status similar to expedia et al.

No wonder AA is in bankruptcy.

5. Ed74

Ed74 Active Member

Status Points:
    Part of my point is that if AA wants to build brand loyalty they should make it worth my while to visit their branded site before the expedia/travelocity type places.

I typically will pay for the premium cabin for the longer flights and in that case it really doesn't matter. But if I'm wanting to book economy with an option to upgrade or possibly economy without having to smell the feces of the aft lav, you would logically think that while not necessarily the best fares, at least the best seat choices would be available on their AA branded website. Otherwise why shouldn't I go to the discount sites if either one will give me the same poor choices?

No wonder AA...

Nah. Too easy.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Did your parents, sister and BIL board the plane and discover seats empty? Or were they filled with passengers? I guess my question is, how do you know AA barred you from picking seats vs those seats already being allocated? AA does reserve some seats but not the whole plane, so it's odd to me that nothing was available if you booked with a resonable amount of time till departure.

Did you call AA to ask about reassignment?

7. Call a local travel agent to help you ~ sometimes they can see more than you and they don't charge anymore for their services than what you'd pay anyway!

8. Ed74

Ed74 Active Member

Status Points:
    I booked the trip several months in advance. At time of booking the seats assigned automatically were located in back. Computer indicated no other availability within coach. Find that odd several months in advance.

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No call to AA to see about switching seats? Was there an option to pick seats when you purchased? I've never done an AAVacations package, so I'm curious.

10. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Were they elite? If not, the computer would not show them the seats blocked for elites. Flights to Hawaii are usually heavy with non-elites, more than the number of seats that AA allocates to non-elites, and many of them arrive at the airport without seat assignments. They get assigned to seats as they check in, the seats that AA had previously blocked for elites. If your relatives did not like their seats, the best advice would have been to get to the airport early and see what other seats were available at the airport.

11. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Call AA vacations and ask.

12. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Full upgradable economy fares on AA are: Y and B
    Discounted is: HKMLVW
    Deep Discounted is: QSONG

Some elite levels qualify for upgrade if available at non Y or B fares.

See the AA guide for full details.

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That doesn't really answer the OP's question about how to find the fare code of the flights he's booking through AAVacations, though.

Plus I'm a little confused by your post. Many fares besides Y and B are upgradable with various instruments. SWUs, miles + co-pay, etc...

14. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't understand the question. I thought he was asking what the vacation fare codes meant. As for the other component of the post, I was speaking in generalities. I guess it wasn't helpful though. :)

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It still might be, I'm just not sure what you meant. :)

16. Ed74

Ed74 Active Member

Status Points:
    Simple advice yet probably the best. Guess I've been conditioned not to call because past experience tells me calling gets you no where.

To answer other questions, they were not elites. Just regular people taking a vacation.

I do think the point remains however that if AAvacations will treat you the same as expedia and the others then what's the point of a branded AA site? AAvacations is essentially an expedia/travelocity. It offers flight/hotel/car/cruises etc.

17. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are tickets purchased through AAVacations treated the same when it comes to free domestic elite upgrades? Anyone have any first hand experience?

18. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

Max M likes this.
  19. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, that's awesome, I've already purchased two trips. WAY cheaper than buying things separately. The hotel + air fare is going to cost me less than the hotel would have cost me.

20. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

Yup, from first hand experience as well, sticker upgrades work just fine with AA Vacations.

And if you go through Mr. Rebates to book your vacation through AA Vacations, Mr. Rebates will give you 2% Cash Back as well!

Juanefny likes this.
  21. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    darn it, wish i knew that before!

22. AA_EXP09

AA_EXP09 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can get the good seats in Y no matter what.
    (Not that I sit there very often on AA. CX, KE, and AC it's a different story)

23. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here. I've booked a few vacations through them, although not recently because the hotel portion is considered as booked through a third party and you earn no stay credit. But I've never had a problem changing seats or being stuck with really bad seats because I booked through them.

24. AA_EXP09

AA_EXP09 Gold Member

Status Points:
    On a similar thought AC sells flight only packages to HAV....