Booking Emirates MLE-DXB Non-Stop

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by cchagadorn, Jul 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. cchagadorn

cchagadorn Silver Member

Status Points:
    There were a lot of different sub-forums I might have posted this in, but in the end I figured it was a newbie question so here it is.

I am traveling to the Maldives and the UAE next march. I am staying in the Maldives for four days or so and then in the UAE for another four days or so. I have already booked a one-way SEA-MLE on Etihad to get there and I have a one way from AUH-SEA on Etihad to get back. I only booked AUH-SEA on the way back because AA does not allow stopovers except for international cities (as far as I could tell) and I would really like to fly MLE-DXB non-stop because the friends I am visiting live an hour closer to DXB than AUH and I don't want a layover, I only have so much time and I would rather have an extra half day in Dubai than waiting in an airport (and more importantly, so would my wife).

I can book the MLE-DXB flight for about $622 each in coach, but at that price I thought I would ask if anyone had any ideas on how I might get this on points. As best I can tell, the MLE-DXB flight (Emirates 659 departs at 10:00 AM and arrives at 1:10PM) is by FAR the most convenient flight, both in terms of getting to the MLE airport and for arrival in DXB.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for booking this flight on points? Lets assume I am willing to sign up for a credit card to get the points I need. I also have Delta, AA, Alaska, and Ultimate Rewards as current options, but AA and Delta would require a connection to get to DXB and Alaska only allows Emirates travel if it originates in the US.

Any ideas?

deant likes this.
  2. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you would need to take a Qantas coded Emirates flight if you try to use points

otherwise you would need to have Emirates Skywards points

another MPer may have actually done this?

cchagadorn likes this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a nonstop but have you considered flying ex-CMB on EK F? Fares ex-CMB tend to be pretty cheap in premium cabins.

cchagadorn likes this.
  4. cchagadorn

cchagadorn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I took a look at Qantas and their award pricing tool says its 18000 miles in coach MLE-DXB one way, but when I actually try and make the award booking online, their system does not seem to allow me to select MLE as a departure or arrival airport. I also searched ITA Matrix and could not find a QF coded flight between MLE and DXB.

I looked at ex-CMB fares earlier and you are right, Jimgotkp, the fares are not that bad, but the shortest trip is 7h15m, and the timing of the flights means we basically lose the whole day. Its really easy to get a 35-40 hour layover in CMB and I almost booked the tickets so I could spend a day or two there, but our time is limited and trying to get DXB, MLE, and CMB into one vacation felt too hurried. Although if I was by myself or had more time, I would totally have done that.

I might have to suck it up and spend real money. I still have a few months so maybe something will change that will allow me to book with miles.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They actually don't allow stopovers at all any more. :(

6. cchagadorn

cchagadorn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Wandering Aramean. And of course my post should have said the stopovers are (were?) only allowed in the US international gateway city.

We are taking advantage of the 24 hour layover that's allowed and are staying a night in DC on the way back. Which reminds me, I need to book that hotel at some point.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Were. There are no longer stopovers allowed even at the North American gateway city on AAwards.

8. cchagadorn

cchagadorn Silver Member

Status Points:
    We are staying overnight in IAD. The agent gave us the option of leaving on any of several flights the day after we arrived because there were no connecting flights that depart after we arrive at IAD. We were not required to leave on the next connecting flight. We could have departed in the afternoon if we wanted to.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sure, but that's still just a connection until you exceed 24 hours, at which point it is a stopover and you have broken the award rules.

10. cchagadorn

cchagadorn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't dispute that. I said, "We are taking advantage of the 24 layover that's allowed."

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm just confused why you bother to mention "We were not required to leave on the next connecting flight." That is not required on a layover and, to the best of my knowledge, never has been.

There are circumstances where departing on the next operating flight allows one to break the rules related to layover length versus stopover but otherwise it doesn't make sense to me.

12. cchagadorn

cchagadorn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess we must have gotten lost in the back and forth. When you said, "Were. There are no longer stopovers allowed even at the North American gateway city on AAwards," I thought you were responding to my statement that "We are taking advantage of the 24 hour layover that's allowed and are staying a night in DC on the way back." I thought you were questing how I was staying overnight in DC.

So that's why I explained our layover.

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was just answering the "are (were?)" section of your post.

All good. :)

14. cchagadorn

cchagadorn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, got it :)