Booking by segment for multi segment trip?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kellio, Jan 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    I may completely be missing how to do this but I'm looking on AA.com for a multi segment trip.

It returns a "grouped" itin to me and I'd like to be able to select each flight by segment, rather than selecting an itin that was grouped.

AA seems to return - AAA-BBB, BBB-CCC, CCC-DDD all in one option.

2. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    This has always been a weak point in their system to me. As far as I know you have to break this up into a series of one-way reservations to make it work the way you want.

3. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    So it would be 3 separate PNR's? Or can I select a OW for segment one, and then continue to build upon that?

4. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess that depends on where you're going and what the routing you want is. If you do the first segment as one PNR and they have the routing you want available as another OW trip for the second two segments then it would just be two PNRs but it's hard to say. When I took a long vacation earlier this year I had several PNRs. It didn't really make any difference from a price standpoint and I had no trouble keeping track of the various segments of the trip.

FWIW my routing was SEA-SJC, then SJC-SEA a few days later on AS, SEA-MIA-MCO on AA, MCO-MIA-BOS on AA, BOS-DCA on B6, BOS-JFK-SFO on AA, SMF-SEA on AS. 6 separate PNRs for the trip over the course of three weeks. All but one were booked on AA ticket stock. The last flight was booked with AS because I had a $25 voucher to use. I admit it was a little bit of a pain in the neck to book but I got exactly the flights, routings, times, and equipment I wanted. Sometimes if you're really picky (I am) it pays to do the extra work to get what you want.

kellio likes this.
  5. FEV77

FEV77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I understand it right, there is one downside to the separate PNRs - if one connection is missed, the airline is under no obligation to rebook your next flight(s).
    Is that right?
    I've always booked it on one ticket for that reason.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  6. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    FEV77, I believe you are generally correct. In my particular case above each of those PNRs were on entirely separate days so I had no such concerns. I could have been a full day late in most cases and still been a few days early for my following flight. Again without more information about the OP's plans it's hard to say what the best course of action is.

FEV77 likes this.
  7. FEV77

FEV77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I am trying to learn and that explanation makes sense!

8. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just used the AA multi-city booking page and it is definitely weak. Another issue is if you mix AA flights with Alaska flights or similar and later decide to upgrade for one flight or another, they will not allow it because you have a AA or Alaska code for a flight on the other carrier.

On Emirates they let you select each leg from all flights available which seems more logical.

With AA it seems if you play with the booking enough, it will come close to times you hoped to book but it takes some time

9. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi guys,

Different question about AA's handling of multi-city bookings, but this seemed as good a thread as any. I'm looking to buy FAT-LAX-MCO, overnighting in LA in discounted 1st. However, since the FAT-LAX segment is coach-only, am I going to be hit with baggage fees when I check in? Obviously, no status / Citi card with AA (I have the USAir card, for what it's worth...)

Thanks,
    theBOAT

10. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would seem to depend on the tariff that you purchase. If it prices as a FAT/MCO F (or P, etc.) fare, you're probably ok. If it prices as 2 different fares, you might not be.

11. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that's my main fear. I think because it's on different calendar days, it's pricing out as FAT-LAX as "N" and then LAX-MCO as "P" thus making me a regular coach louse for the initial segment.

theBOAT