Booking Buddy - check it out

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Steven Schwartz, Feb 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Went to www.thepointsguy.com this morning and saw an article about a booking site, Booking Buddy, that is reachable thru a US Air link. When you buy tickets thru this link, US Air gives you 18 points per dollar spent.

http://usairways.skymall.com/mall/info/usairways/BookingBuddy?afsrc=1

We're taking our daughter, son-in-law and their three year old twins to Scottsdale in September and I had not gotten around to ticketing yet (thank God!). Just did it through the link. $2,750 for all six tickets and I can expect a bonus of over 49,000 miles - just for using the link!

BTW, link to me to a page that asked the details. I filled in the destination and the dates and it offered me a choice of other sites (Orbitz, Expedia, etc). Chose Orbitz and the rest was as though I had signed right onto Orbitz. And I was in no way limited to booking only US Air.

You can be sure I'll be on the lookout for those miles!

TennisPro, doc, lisamcgu and 3 others like this.
  2. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course I just booked about 1000.00 in tickets.

TennisPro and lisamcgu like this.
  3. neil
    Original Member

neil Silver Member

Status Points:
    I saw this, too.

I felt like there were too many new windows and links to other sites to still have the Booking Buddy click through register. Would be interested to hear if this works!

lisamcgu likes this.
  4. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Someone on FT just posted that this is a big mistake that will be corrected soon. We'll see how this plays out.

lisamcgu likes this.
  5. flying US Air or the points?

savydog, TennisPro, lvinsider and 2 others like this.
  6. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Using booking buddy is like using kayak, how can they track your purchase?

Plus, the guy on FT had to call to remind USAir he used booking buddy to get credit.

lisamcgu and neil like this.
  7. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And I just found out that as a US Air Platinum, I get a 75% bonus, which would bring it up to 86,000 miles. Thisw could get interesting.

lisamcgu likes this.
  8. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't rely on US giving you your miles. It's a massive YMMV, at best.
    At worst, they'll give you your miles and then close your account for absolutely no reason...(as happened with TIB and other promos).

savydog and lisamcgu like this.
  9. pevo

pevo Active Member

Status Points:
    there is a report on FT that booking buddy is crediting miles based on the $ they earn from you booking your ticket, not the ticket cost

savydog, doc and lisamcgu like this.
  10. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got just 8 miles! It clearly shows as "SHOPPING MALL, BOOKING BUDDY" [​IMG]

lisamcgu likes this.
  11. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    This may be very good for you. Good luck!

Skyvillager likes this.
  12. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always think that too, but I know if I save the email or ad or whatever, I can get on them about it ... and I do. They expect most to back off. This happened when AA's e shopping mall didn't track me thru their site, then their B&N site to the site of the issuers of the B&N gift cards. They are cool cards that you can upload your own pic and style it the way you want. I didn't want that boring card from the AA e shopping site for B&N (+ it wasn't as many miles). I kept on them for over a year and I finally got my miles.

savydog, Skyvillager and jupper like this.
  13. Mooper
    Original Member

Mooper Silver Member

Status Points:
    BookingBuddy would be wise to honor the offer as stated, for many people likely relied on the wording to their financial detriment. At this moment, the landing page lists "18 miles per $1" and "no restrictions at this time". Given that no reference a commission basis is made, I think that a reasonable person would assume that the miles are supposed to be issued according to the purchase/transaction price.

savydog and doc like this.
  14. babyshark31
    Original Member

babyshark31 Active Member

Status Points:
    gatorprincess85 just posted over there that miles will take either up to 8 weeks to post or after the trip has been taken in some cases.

Here's the full quote from US:

"Regarding the Bookingbuddy purchase, please note there may be a lag of up to 8 weeks from the time of purchase to the time the rewards is posted in your report. This is primarily true with travel merchants, like Expedia, who will not credit your account with a reward until the actual travel dates have passed. For instance, if you purchase tickets today for a trip occurring in 3 months, you will see your rewards only after that trip has concluded. "

savydog and doc like this.
  15. ahow628
    Original Member

ahow628 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So is it correct to assume that I could book a trip through the included AA Vacations site, get the miles for flying AA, plus get 18 miles/$1 on US? Seems like a pretty sweet deal.

16. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I sent an email to USairways regarding it. They sent me this reply
    "Dear kyunbit,

Thank you for contacting US Airways.
    We are unable to view the records of our Dividend Miles Shopping Mall partner and cannot make adjustments for miles awarded by the partner. Please contact the partner directly and they will be happy to assist you with this issue.

Please send an email to DividendMilesMall@FreeCause.com or call 1-888-238-8495 for assistance.

It is our privilege to serve you and we appreciate you making US Airways your carrier of choice.
    Sincerely,

Linda Glenn
    US Airways Dividend Miles
    "

doc likes this.
  17. Always Be Flying
    Original Member

Always Be Flying Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not seeing Booking Buddy as a Div. Miles mall partner anymore, safe to assume they are no longer involved?

18. babyshark31
    Original Member

Status Points:
    if you use the us airways toolbar, it still shows up as 18 miles/$, at least it did on Tuesday when I booked a car

savydog likes this.
  19. babyshark31
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I should add that I finally got some miles from the booking buddy deal, but nowhere near the amount I was expecting

3/8/2011 03/17/11 SHOPPING MALL, BOOKING BUDDY 9
    3/8/2011 03/17/11 SHOPPING MALL, BOOKING BUDDY 132
    3/8/2011 03/17/11 SHOPPING MALL, BOOKING BUDDY 30
    3/8/2011 03/17/11 SHOPPING MALL, BOOKING BUDDY 43
    3/8/2011 03/17/11 SHOPPING MALL, BOOKING BUDDY 5
    3/8/2011 03/17/11 SHOPPING MALL, BOOKING BUDDY 5
    3/8/2011 03/17/11 SHOPPING MALL, BOOKING BUDDY 50
    3/8/2011 03/17/11 SHOPPING MALL, BOOKING BUDDY 12
    3/8/2011 03/17/11 SHOPPING MALL, BOOKING BUDDY 56
    3/8/2011 03/17/11 SHOPPING MALL, BOOKING BUDDY 29

savydog likes this.
  20. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used booking buddy to check prices but had nothing booked a few weeks ago. I was surprised to see a few miles deposited to my US account.

savydog likes this.
  21. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sent a long email to US Air yesterday and informed them that a copy had been sent to the Federal Trade Commission. They knew this was misleading and left it on the website for months. We'll see what happens.

I apologize for anyone who got their hopes up from this scam. :(

22. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    things happen, no worries

but you could edit the first post of the thread so that someone reading this thread isn't getting their hopes up (like I was[​IMG])

23. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday I sent a fairly strong email to US Air regarding this situation along with copying the Federal Trade Commission for what I feel is an issue of consumer fraud (and let US Air know they were copied). Here's the response I got today:

Thank you for contacting The Dividend Miles Toolbar & Mall Support. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. Please be advised that we have escalated your concern with regard to the missing 75% extra miles for being a Platinum Elite card holder. We would provide you with feedback as soon as we receive it. As for the incorrect miles posted on your account for the Booking Buddy transaction, we have reported the error to our Reporting Department for the necessary corrections.

Please note that miles are credited anytime within 8 weeks from the date of purchase as stated in our Terms and Conditions. This is to allow the merchant to provide us with their own transaction reports and validate the purchases made.

Thank you for your time and attention regarding this matter.

Best Regards,

The Dividend Miles Toolbar & Mall Support Team

doc likes this.
  24. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey.. NP..
    Thanks for tryin.. really appreciate it :)
    And good luck to you & others with this one.
    Hopefully it works out well :)

25. Mooper
    Original Member

Mooper Silver Member

Status Points:
    Given that the promo was pulled less than a couple weeks ago and that similar promotions typically stipulate several weeks for review and closure, wouldn't it be more prudent to wait to see the final decision before accusing them of a "scam"? The terms were quite explicit and well-documented. Do you seriously assert that USAirways was purposefully deceiving you therefore knowingly exposing itself to substantial liability?

If BookingBuddy made an error and customers relied upon the offer to their detriment, USAirways should hold them accountable to avoid a mess. Jumping the gun by requesting government intervention before allowing a reasonable amount of time for the matter to be resolved is a waste of taxpayer money. If, after a few more weeks, USAirways has investigated the claims and decides not to honor the offer,*then* the pursuit of more aggressive action would be warranted.