Booking award travel to PMI

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by egar2019, Jul 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. egar2019

egar2019 Active Member

I'm trying to book award travel on Delta to PMI from RDU in Sept. I have been quoted some very high numbers (130k miles miles in economy, 325k business class) and these do not include the price of the ticket to PMI (from MAD) (~$220 extra). I have a good number (or so I thought) of Delta miles - 200k.

I am meeting two others who booked award travel on United - the same revenue fare is very high ($1600) and I only have 28k miles remaining with United - although I am Premier Platinum with them.

Thanks in advance.
  2. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Hi egar2019, and welcome to MilePoint! I took a quick look at for RDU-MAD in September and can find a few dates with low mileage seats available. For example, 9/13-9/19 in Domestic First/Business for 100k miles r/t + $60.50 in taxes.

I would suggest heading to ... plug in your preferred dates ... and check the "My dates are flexible" option. You should then see an award calendar. You can pick between coach & business using the tabs above the calendar. The green dates are the low mileage seats.

Hope that helps! Glad you joined us here at MilePoint!
    boondr likes this.
  3. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Also, try try again. You will find things change with every click.
    chrislacey and boondr like this.
  4. egar2019

egar2019 Active Member

Thanks - will keep trying.
  5. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

You need to find the TATL space first. Here is how I found our space on Delta:

1. Search for a one-way ticket from all the points in the US to Europe. i.e. ATL-CDG, ATL-MAD
    2. I created a spreadsheet that listed out every city pair
    3. Search for low level economy and then sort by miles needed. Make sure that you scroll through all the pages.
    4. Search for business and sort by miles needed. (You are looking for 100k tickets for business, 60k for economy)
    5. After you find the TATL space, you can start searching to RDU
    6. Repeat to get to MAD, or other city in Spain.
    7. When you go to book, you have to use the Multi city and feed in the exact city pairs

Other notes:

6. It looks like your only sky team option to PMI is on Air Europa
    7. Try searching for award space on Air France to see if it shows Air Europa.
    8. If not, sign up for Expert Flyer and look for space there.
    9. After you find the TATL space, you might have to call to get to/from RDU. Also, see if you can

If you can't get award flight on Skyteam from Europe, you have 2 choices:
    1. Buy a paid ticket from European gateway to PMI. There are tons of LCC from many places in Europe (Aer Lingus, Air Berlin, Vueling, EasyJet, etc.)
    2. Use Avios to fly on Air Berlin or Iberia
    3. If you go these routes, make sure that you build in a sufficient time for connections.

Some additional Skyteam tips:

1. From what I understand, they are not blocking Air France award space right now. Any TATL on a parent airline is at low level.
    2. Remember to look for Virgin Atlantic Space as well.
    3. You can have a stopover & an open-jaw, if you are booking paid/award tickets on another airline, the open jaw can be very handy for your award space.

If you can't find anything, you might want to think about using an award booking service. I t honk Canadian Kilometers is currently doing it for free.