Booking award ticket to Australia

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by mgb, Feb 26, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. mgb

mgb New Member

Status Points:
    I am traveling to Sydney to meet my husband (who is departing earlier than I) in late April.
    I was hoping to book an award ticket in business class, but there are hardly any dates available. Will more open up closer to the flight- or should I book now because the situation will only get more limited? Also, we are hoping to fly back together- is the only hope to book his flight and then try to get the seat next to his when I book my award ticket?

Newscience and ContinentalFan like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can find anything acceptable now is probably lock it in. There may be some seats which open up around 30 days out but that's a big risk, especially on US-Oz.

For the return flight your award is likely to be more limited than his ticket so try to find something which works for you and then see if his can match it. But other than booking both tickets separately on the same flight there's no way to come home together.

whkento and Newscience like this.
  3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If there is anything acceptable, lock it in now. You can monitor and change to better options if they open up.

4. SYD

SYD Silver Member

Status Points:
    QF (operating carrier) doesn't normally release extra awards seats closer to departure. What there is usually goes ~330 days out! Especially J.