Booking award through CO.com

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by kwai, Aug 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Coming from the UA side of things the award booking engine is much nicer..... But why will it not give me TG C on three class planes!!!! :mad::mad:

OneSweetWorld likes this.
  2. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure what you mean. CO site displays three columns (Y, C, F) with redemption options under each. Where are you not seeing C on three cabin flights? If you see nothing it just means no award space is available on that flight. But I think you are just mis-reading the intent of the 2-cabin, 3-cabin explanation though I admit it is a bit ambiguous. However, if it is a 3-cabin flight you will be able to select C seats if they are available.

OneSweetWorld likes this.
  3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually CO.COM has a bug when you're logged in as an Elite, it won't display the C Class usually...

Try logging out and search the same thing again and you will see that Y/C/F is there...

You can alternatively call it in as well, the agent sees what you see but if you mention to search as an non-elite...they will find the availability...

OneSweetWorld and kwai like this.
  4. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they display three columns with nary a seat available in C. Check yourself and querry NRT-BKKv.v or BKK-HKG v.v. The latter is almost always available in C for each of the 5 flights daily... but yet CO returns just empty space..... [Edit: When I am logged in as an elite]

I did just this and indeed it showed each flight for the days I was looking as available in C. I'm acting as an agent for family who are non-elites so I'd rather not call in, but deal with this online, to save the fees.

In this case I'll need to simply call family and walk them through the steps.

Thanks for this info DIG/R_1K. I never would have figured this out on my own.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  5. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    After searching I logged in and realized i had searched for 2 seats when each account only had sufficient miles for 1 r/t. So back to the search and, once again, nothing showed up in C. Seems this is not restricted to elites. My relation is not statused with UA/CO, but, when she is signed in, the C cabin availability disappears.

Very odd, but now I've gained some insight at least.

6. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting about the bug. I've only used the site in the past month or so but never encountered it, or at least realized I had not. Have always been able to get seats I've wanted, but then always was booking F on 3-class aircraft so maybe that's why I never noticed.

Flyer1976, kwai and OneSweetWorld like this.
  7. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

OneSweetWorld Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA site is terrible, most of the times the awards are inflated and they wont show you saver.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Likely so.

The issue is that CO uses O for CO metal elite awards and not I. On CO metal I is a subset of O so it generally isn't a problem. On partners, however, the site is looking for O as biz and getting all sorts of confused when it is actually F. Every now and then they fix it and then a few months later break it again. Been a sore point for a couple years now.

Flyer1976 and kwai like this.
  9. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Overall, I much prefer the CO interface over UA's for viewing and booking award travel.

Flyer1976, kwai and tahewett like this.
  10. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are very few routes in Asia I can get F and most of the time just relegate myself for an intra-region C award.

That's what I've heard. I haven't booked an award online in 4 years, a combination of 1) not paying phone booking fees and 2) most of the carriers I prefer to fly aren't offered on .bomb.

I'm rather amazed that TG is offered on CO.com. That was a pleasant surprise.

There are also some odd routings that would never fly if booking with UA. :D

11. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    TG, NH, OZ and SQ now tend to fly just 2-cabin planes on their intra-Asia routes though there are some 3-cabin planes on flights that continue on to/or originate from Australia, Europe or NAmerica (including LH and UA).

12. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm finding saver awards on Star Alliance carriers on the Continental site (to & from BKK) where ONLY standard awards show up on UAL. Also viewing F class and Y class seats on one screen is a time saver which was available on United Connection in the dark ages. I can't wait until Da Bomb is history!

13. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably StarNet Blocking...

14. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, probably continental.com shows more partners award inventory online than united.com does. united.com I think is limited to UA, US, CO, and LH, while co.com shows at least all those plus NH, TG, and OZ, all of which are useful flying to BKK.

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    :rolleyes:

Yeah, keep beating this drum, despite virtually zero evidence that it has existed for the past many months. That's always entertaining.

16. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sure made it nice to search on Cont web, call 1K line and after hearing that there were no saver awards available, gave the agent the flight #'s that I wanted and gotter-dun in about 3 minutes.

I know that ANA is another search option, but the Cont site made it very easy, indeed.

17. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What do you call it when CO/UA can't book LX awards when the ANA Tool shows it available then?

18. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    My question to myself would be, "Self, if awards show on ANA and I can't book them on UA/CO is it StarNet blocking showing its ugly head, but carrying it one step further, if awards show up on the CO website but not the UA web site and I can call and book them at the 1K desk, what would it be called --- a NET LOSS, or what"?