Booking at Starwood, AmEx, or Pointshound?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by JoeCortez, Nov 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. JoeCortez

JoeCortez Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok milepointers, I've got a dilemma that I need your collective brainpower to solve. I'm making a mileage run in three weeks to San Francisco, and with the Starwood Black Friday special, I can book the brand now SFO Aloft for less than $100 a night. Which I consider a personal win. But here's the big question: where's the best bang for my points:

1) Booking at the Starwood site for SPG points (no SPG Amex to double the points),
    2) Booking through AmEx for double MR points (or maybe triple - 1x for the booking, plus 2x through their site?)
    3) Booking through Pointshound and try for the UA MileagePlus/SPG double dip (if this does, in fact, exist).

For what its worth, its a United mileage run, so we already have UA miles coming. So 3 might be a moot point.

So what's your advice? I can't lose...but I certainly want to try and make the most of the points. Thanks for your help in advance!

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) use your iphone/android for 500pts + the BBTN promo gives you 2x points + check in via 4S for 250 pts.

For ~$75 you're looking at 1000+ SPG :-p

3. JoeCortez

JoeCortez Silver Member

Status Points:
    And this is why you guys rock! :cool: