Booking Air Berlin with AAdvantage Miles

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by MX, May 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking of traveling from MIA to Europe in business class on my AA miles with Air Berlin, as a way of escaping the high BA surcharges. Does anyone know what kind of surcharges and taxes I should expect from AB?
    Also, how good is AB's business class product? Is it any better than IB?
    Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I booked AB for a flight FRA-BER-JFK and taxes/fees were low, especially compared to BA's YQ.

I haven't taken the flight, but from what I understand AB's product probably doesn't compete that well with IB's J offering though. Maybe someone with experience on AB can give more concrete information.

3. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would love for you to report the experience.

4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    What makes you say that about IB J-class? I've only come across negative comments about their economy service, and not much at all about the business class. Perhaps there might IB be reviews that I missed.

Also, I looked up award booking on Air Berlin website. If I were to book an award flight with AB miles, their fuel surcharges & taxes were quoted around $250 one way. I'm not sure if that's at all relevant to booking with AAdvantage miles.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    IB's J class is lie flat, AB's is currently recliner style or angled. Overall I've heard negative things about AB's hard product in J, and I have heard bad things about IB but I've also heard good things. Soft product (FAs, food, etc..) is harder to nail down because a lot of that can depend on the crews and the stations you are using.

The award I booked was actually SFO-LAX-HNL-LAX-ORD-HKG-KUL-HKG-YVR-JFK-BOS-NRT-FRA-BER-JFK-AMM as a oneworld award, and only the FRA-BER-JFK portion was on AB. Even so, my TOTAL taxes and fees for the AB flights and the AA/CX/RJ/JL flights was just under $200.

6. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much for the specifics. That's just what I needed!

DestinationDavid likes this.
  7. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why waste your miles on Air Berlin. It's an inferior product to just about everything (even AA biz), soft and hard, it's all bad on Air Berlin.

MX likes this.
  8. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think they were trying to avoid fuel surcharges for USA-Europe Flights on BA.

Here's an Chart I threw together for one of my Blogs Articles on the taxes fees for across Avios partner airlines.

Take from it what you can. Niki Airlines is subsidiary of AB.(R/T)

Taxes & Fees Chart.png

travelinmike33, skyvan and MX like this.
  9. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Damn...that's ugly. I have a bunch of Avios but I'm debating on what to use them for.I now know it won't be with Qantas.