Booking Advice

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by davideman, Feb 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. davideman

davideman Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello All,

I need some advice on booking an int'l DL ticket. I have a family of four (Diamond, Platinum, Gold, Gold). We'll be booking M class or above tickets and will be hoping to score an upgrade. My question is are we better off booking them all together (as a group of 4), in pairs or individually? Do the Golds bring the Diamond down on the waitlist or does Diamond bring the others up. The Golds are young children, so we are able to sit 2 in front and 2 in back if that happens, but we can't be all separated. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you using miles or SWUs for upgrades?

3. davideman

davideman Active Member

Status Points:
    Planning on SWU, but could use either. Is one better?

4. robmac

robmac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Delta likes to go with the lowest tier in the group for upgrades. So booking together will get you in the Gold bucket. I have a family of four, the kids have no status. I usually make separate bookings and if upgraded, send the kids front or my wife and daughter. A happy family makes a way better vacation ;)

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    To use SWUs for one travel companion requires being on the same PNR officially. So you would need to have DM and one GM on one PNR using SWUs from the DM account and PM plus the other GM on the second PNR using SWUs from the PM account.

ballardFlyer likes this.
  6. EHartley

EHartley New Member

Status Points:
    I have a general question about experiences people have had booking flights as I am getting ready to travel to LA. Is it better to book directly through an airline or is there a reliable site to book through (i.e. Expedia) etc. without the hassel of what happens when flights change and all of a sudden you are in a snaffu less than 12 hours before you were supposed to depart? Thanks!

7. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint.

Your question gets a "depends" answer:
    If you are wanting to collect miles, you need to be extremely careful booking through 3rd party sites as the fare class they book you in may not acrue the miles you think you should get.

How far out are you looking to travel?

8. EHartley

EHartley New Member

Status Points:
    I am planning on traveling the second week of April. I have heard nightmares about third party booking sites and have only booked my travel direct with an airline, but then I was told about better fares - so I was looking to see if anyone else had experience in this area to weigh the issues - so to speak. Thanks!