Booking Advice for Complex Itenerary

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by zshanlon, Jun 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    Im trying to give my friend some advice. He needs to get from his home in SLC to XNA (7/12) to NYC (7/20) to LNK (8/4).

Im pricing the itinerary as is on Kayak for about $850 which isn't bad but I am wondering if I could use some of my points (avios in particular) to get him to a positioning city for a cheaper flight but Im not sure what would be best.

All dates are flexible.

2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried seeing if ticketing (and throwing away) the last segment saves money?

i.e., SLC-XNA-NYC-LNK-SLC?

3. thefitworldtraveler
    Original Member

thefitworldtraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're going to have search AA inventory if you want to use Avios points. For the SLC-XNA segment AA doesn't flight that route directly so search SLC-DFW then DFW-XNA. For XNA-NYC, you're going to have to route to ORD or DFW. Again with NYC-LNK. Play around with the availability and see what flights your friend is willing to pay for.

Keep in mind it's risky to keep separate tickets for award and paid tickets because the operating carrier is only responsible to take to you your destination on the itinerary.

4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, Avios charges per segment, so those will add up quickly.

5. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not necessarily:
    http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Booking_Ticketing/Reaccom/oneworld_tkt_policy.jsp

If a customer is holding separate tickets on AA or another oneworld carrier, customers holding separate tickets where travel is on oneworld airlines should be treated as through ticketed passengers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.