Booked United Award - can I upgrade it later?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by gmarchetti, Jan 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gmarchetti

gmarchetti Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked a Lufthansa award with United miles in economy.
    I may be able to make up the difference for business on the same itinerary in the next month or so.
    Is it possible to upgrade the award ticket? Or do I have to cancel, pay the redeposit fees and rebook?
    G.

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    One cannot upgrade an award ticket. The trick is to book your award ticket in business even if there is no availability, but confirm it in economy so that if a C seat becomes available you can claim it, and if does not and you fly in economy, you will get your miles difference between C and Y back. This is essentially how one can be "waitlisted" on an award ticket.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    Flyer1976, dstober and Newscience like this.
  3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget that the United MileagePlus Award rates for Star Alliance Partner Travel in premium cabins is increasing on February 1.

4. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, an award ticket CAN be "upgraded"--but only with more miles from the same account, not with a GPU or anything else. When U have enough miles, just click on "View/ Change Flights." No need to cancel/ reissue, so smaller fees apply. Since June 2013 the change fee is $75 if the miles are from a basic MP member's account, $0 for Silver Elite & higher. If U need to change dates/ flights, do it at the same time to pay only one fee! If you also change cities at the same time, the fee is $100 for basic members.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, one can simply cancel and rebook once the desired higher class award ticket becomes available and also pay a fee. The relevant question seems to be what to do if one wants to avoid change fees, etc...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  6. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    NYCUA1K, cancelling & rebooking attracts HIGHER fees than what I suggested, which attracts NO FEE for Silvers & higher!

7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    "view/change flights" doesn't work for partner (eg Lufthansa) flights!

8. lunettes noires
    Original Member

lunettes noires Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've actually used it successfully on itineraries that contained segments on TACA and Asiana. But it has also bombed out on me quite frequently in the past.