booked not taken

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by ctporter, Apr 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Today a quick trip from SEA to PDX for an event at our office, I was able to catch an earlier flight at SEA and for the trip back I realized I was not going to make my 5:10 flight back so I called and got a seat on the 6:30, but when I got to the gate area they were in the last stages of boarding the 5:30 (late) and amazingly I was able to get a seat on that one. Bottom line is that I flew on flights I had not booked each way - LOL. Have to appreciate how easy it was in all three flight plan changes!

jackal likes this.
  2. fooko2002
    Original Member

fooko2002 Active Member

Status Points:
    This is exactly how the "shuttle" flights need to operate for the business travelers to use them frequently as opposed to drive or train it instead. :)

3. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I hate the drive between Seattle and Portland, especially the northbound trip. The bad news about that trip was the HUGE cost, but since I had money in the wallet it was ok. If I had to pay myself though, I would have considered the train + taxi route.

4. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have enjoyed the Cascades train, especially when I need to be downtown at either end (or both). And you can't beat the train fare.

kayet, jackal and ctporter like this.
  5. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know the market share is low, but I wonder how low the mindshare of the Cascades train is. While speed could be improved, I think the biggest hurdle Amtrak/WADOT has is getting people to realize it exists, much less that it's a viable option in many cases.

Acela in the Northeast has over half the market--probably because most BosWash commuters at least know about Acela. I wonder what percentage of SEA-PDX commuters are even aware that a train exists along that route...

6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Transit awareness generally is pretty low in the Seattle area. A lot of infrequent users are more comfortable with a train/subway/light rail - because the route and station locations are evident, you can count on good frequency, and the ride is more comfortable and spacious than a bus. And there's only a single route in Seattle so far. The bus system in Seattle is reasonably good, and practically every bus that goes downtown goes within a few blocks of King Street Station - but how many potential train riders have never set foot on a bus in Seattle?

Another barrier to riding the Cascades has been the rather deplorable state of King Street Station - but it is finally being renovated. Portland's Union Station is gorgeous, and I hope King Street Station will become just as nice.

I think the Cascades product is pretty good. As more trains are added, and reliability improves further with some of the construction projects underway, as well as the King Street Station renovation, I think word of mouth will take care of growing demand.

jackal likes this.
  7. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I do like taking the train, what would make it better is to have a convenient way to park. There is a garage nearby that we used the last time I took the train down and we will certainly use that again or take a taxi/ride share etc, but to make train a good viable option parking should be part of the planning for each train station. There is just no way that I will take a bus to either Link Light Rail or Amtrak with my gear and luggage, it is much too inconvenient takes too much time. The seat pitch on Link Light Rail makes airline seats look spacious too, thankfully though, they do have alternative seating.