Booked family mini-RTW - how'd I do?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by b8b, Jul 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

How did I do? (multiple responses allowed)

Poll closed Jul 23, 2011.
  1. Awesome! You did great getting 4 passengers in premium cabins on the same flights.

50.0%
  2. Pretty good, but that's going to be one tiring "Vacation"!

66.7%
  3. OK, but PRG and ZAG in March for just a day won't be all that

16.7%
  4. Not that great, PRG in March is gloomy.

16.7%
  5. It would be worth the $360 in change fees to get on LX F for the return and drop a destination

16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. b8b

b8b Silver Member

Status Points:
    With the deadline looming for the award redemption values changing using AC, I decided to pull the trigger and may have done so rather hastily in hindsight. I did a lot of reading on the forums and blogs before booking, but I feel like I've done even more since as I was excited about the trip. A side effect of all that reading is now I'm wondering how well I actually did or if I could/should have done better.

As some might have experienced, it can be very challenging find 4 seats on the same flight all in premium cabins. I was able to book 2 seats in F and 2 in C for all the long-hauls for the following itinerary:

March, 2012:
    PHX-SFO US 4xF
    SFO-MUC LH 2xF & 2xC
    MUC-BKK TG 2xF & 2xC (two nights)
    BKK-FCO TG 2xF & 2xC (three nights)
    FCO-ZAG (one night/a decent part of the next day, <24 hours)
    ZAG-VIE
    VIE-PRG OS (two nights but only one day)
    PRG-FRA LH
    FRA-YYC LH 2xF 2xC
    YYC-PHX US 4xF

(440k AC and around $1k in taxes/fees)

It was difficult to coordinate time off with my wife (who works) and kids (school, boys ages 11 & 14), so I was limited to basically one period of 11 days in March 2012. This is going to be a fast tour, but everyone will get a little of most what we wanted from an award travel vacation we have been saving a long time for (for me, luxury flying and as much of it as possible; for all of us adding new countries to our list of places we've visited, seeing historic destinations, availability of hotels, etc.). I realize that it is not long in any one place, but everyone says they are up to it an din 2009 they did great with a 17 day 5-country european tour (granted: less flying and more time in each place).

I hit the max of 10 segments, turnaround and two stopovers... not sure if that is easily exceeded, but I would have preferred to hit a beach in Thailand as I've been to BKK before (but not the fam, yet) and like the beach as part of a vacation. I was hoping to find availability on an A380 (still a dream/goal) as I read a thread where some folks were able to snag some LH flights out of MIA in F, but I was not successful.

Thoughts? Feedback? Should I keep looking for ways to get into LX F (would only be able to do so for the return due to timing contraints) or TG F on the 77W? For either, I would add segments and have to drop a destination. Is it worth paying $360 in change fees (and potentially more in taxes) for it? I did find some TG CDG-BKK availability and LX YUL-ZRH, but either would add segments and/or cost me a day of travel as I would have to leave a day later.

2. We already know on FT
    Give it a rest

3. b8b

b8b Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about you read THIS first.
    Please keep the negativity and thread crapping to yourself.

4. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    But FT is a different site from MP, isn't it? Not everyone on MP visits FT.

b8b likes this.
  5. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect it's the other way around. Just like all men are homosapeans, but not all homosapeans as men, all folks on MP read FT too, but not all folks on FT read MP...yet!

b8b likes this.