Booked award regrets? :)

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by viguera, Sep 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does this happen to anyone else or is it just me?

Every time I book an award ticket somewhere I end up thinking it over and over... maybe I could have booked something better, maybe on a different plane, etc.

The last one has been nagging me for weeks... I booked two seats in first for a January vacation from JFK-PHX-HNL for 70k miles a piece. Truly a bargain in the grand scheme of things, since US Airways wants around $2,500 a seat.

Nevertheless, it's been nagging at me that maybe I could have done better... maybe some other flight without a stop, maybe using a partner airline, maybe schmaybe... :) I guess my "concern" is that I'm looking at two "long but not too long" flights on domestic aircraft and although I'm sure it will beat sitting in the back of the bus I'm sort of "wasting" the miles on this particular award.

Or am I the only one that this happens to? :)

sendaiben and NYBanker like this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not fly US Air, but with AC I never give it a 2nd thought. I get what I want and do not subscribe to the 'did I get the best value' stuff. As long as I get what I want I am happy :)

[Sent from my milePoint enabled iPhone]

catgirl and miles and smiles like this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Non-stop? Good luck getting first class awards on CO's EWR-HNL. No, unlikely you'd have gotten that.

Could you have gotten ORD-HNL on United? Maaaaayyyybbbeee but even then it's operated by a domestic-configured 777, personally I'd want to break the trip up out West, that's a long flight in a domestic F cabin.

Now, you're flying US F so you could have done marginally better, perhaps, getting one of United's flights from LAX/SFO but then you'd need the premium transcon to pair up to it and JFK-SFO/LAX are really hard to come by in business class. I suppose EWR-LAX/SFO which pair up would have been better... But hey, you got the award you wanted, don't sweat it, enjoy Hawaii!

viguera likes this.
  4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amen!
    I'm so happy to get my trips for a $10 processing fee, instead of paying hundreds of dollars.
    Being satisfied and being grateful is the best value!

catgirl, gujjuglobal, Toula and 4 others like this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd be happy with the redemption that you got.

I booked the CO HNL-EWR flight in J using double-miles one-way awards for the week between Christmas and New Years. To come back without having to stop seemed like a very easy trade (and worth going to the double miles award to do). This is the only scheduled non-stop from Hawaii to any NY area airport.

I forget the exact amount, but I think I'm paying 80k for one way (per ticket).

EWR to Norwalk is a 75+ mile drive....so while it is non-stop, it's still a trek to/from the airport for you.

75k for the round trip, even if on US Air, is still not too shabby.

viguera likes this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good points, but one of the things that I was eyeballing was the equipment though... by using US and having the stop I'm basically looking at a domestic F cabin on an A320 and a 757, which like I said are better than Y but lack the "obscene opulence" of first class. :)

I guess at the end of the day it's actually not a bad award considering the cost (it was 70k btw not 75), and I suppose if I wanted something outrageous I shouldn't be doing US to HNL. :)

The EWR distance wouldn't worry me in the least either btw. I was originally considering positioning out to PHL to try to get better equipment, even if meant staying a night out there to avoid problems with flying in the winter.

7. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of my favorite Chairman's benefits is the redeposit option in case something better comes up. On a recent YVR trip a leg on domestic 77L opened up in First, so i refunded my US award and booked AC. I also booked a flight to escape Hurricane Irene, but ended up not needing it.

For your trip:
    AC isn't an option for your trip as you cannot ticket a domestic trip on AC
    CO via EWR is the nicest option - but availability is tough.
    United via ORD is shorter, but you run the risk of weather delays and misconnects. One of my favorite part of PHX is the lack of weather issues. Their domestic 767s (aka "ghetto bird") has a very comparable product to many domestic first class planes. PS first to LAX/SFO to HNL would be a slightly nicer option.

US isn't a bad way to get to Hawaii. Back when they flew the 767s from CLT and then the East configured 757s, it was really nice. There is likely still time from the time you travel, and you could get an internationally configured plane.

One final plus - the US 757 looks very sharp in Hawaii. Try to guess where my Avatar shot is from.

viguera likes this.
  8. Stealth Traveler
    Original Member

Stealth Traveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    After booking a DL biz elite round trip, I found the flights I wanted on *A in C...eventually made the switch. Rookie mistake not checking *A first and then insult to injury was paying for the redeposit of miles on DL. Ugh...new A333 LX C just couldn't be passed up. :) I guess I didn't feel guilty...very, very dirty. haha

9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have no regrets - focus on that you got such a good value award.

Beyond the one CO flight, you have to connect to get to the east coast.

Most of the routings to hnl are in a domestic f configuration. DL has a few exceptions (where they use internationally configured equipment), but barring that, the co flight, or using the AA/UA premium transcontinental service (which only gets you half way there), Hawaii is basically a domestic f market.

I flew syd-hnl a few years back. Sat down in my j seat - expecting it to go flat (like what I thought all long haul qf j seats did) - nope, had about 6" of recline. Similarly, JL, a very big carrier into Hawaii, has specially configured planes with older style, less opulent, premium cabins for this (and other essentially leisure-only) markets.

January is a great time to go. PHX is probably the least risky connecting point for weather. These are high-class problems.

Now for the tougher question....what hotels did you pick?

10. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only regret I have is for a recently booked PHX-YYZ-YUL / YQB-YYZ-PHX pair of award tickets. I actually used my miles for something other than intercontinental / transoceanic longhaul. First time ever for that, aside from a dirt cheap "MileSaver" earlier this summer when I got PHX-SFO-PHX for 10K.

11. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flyer's remorse?

travelinmike33 likes this.