Book outbound flight ASAP or wait until return is available?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by govtmule, Sep 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. govtmule

govtmule Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking to book business class tickets on United miles RT to Switzerland or Italy for Sept 2014.

Is it best to book the outbound flight as soon as I see availability that I want, or should I wait until I can get the return flight, as well?

I'm guessing it comes down to whether I'm willing to accept economy for the return trip.

2. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    When i am planning on booking a trip 11 months out, i always book two one ways so i can get the over night in J, if i have trouble finding the return in J, i will either extend/shorten the trip. or look to change the departure date and pay the fee to then have better dates

3. govtmule

govtmule Active Member

Status Points:
    So, you're saying you would book the outbound as soon as it's available?

Also, do you mean fare class J?

4. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    yes i book day it becomes avaialble, we are ususally booking 3 tickets so i actully start looking like 28 dyas before the days i want become available and check every day for the next day to see if i can predict the pattern that the flights are relased.
    i have yet to get stranded on a trip, i also however collect both united and aa miles and often find it easy to get a one way on united and a one way on aa.

5. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    and yes i ment j class fares, it is somewhat harder to get 3 J on one flight, often times i have to purchase 2 at saver level and one at double level. i consider it a cost of doing bussiness, the reason i play these games it to enjoy wonderful trips with my family, sometimes to get the whole family one of us has to pay a litttle more for the seat

6. govtmule

govtmule Active Member

Status Points:
    Obviously, I'm a newbie here.
    What do yo mean that you purchase two at saver and one at double?
    Is double=standard?

And why would you purchase one at double?
    Do you mean you see availability for two business class at saver but not the third, so you book the two at saver and get the last at the standard award rate?

Also, how do you know what class the award ticket is?

7. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    we are a family of 3, i find it difficult to find 3 tickets in bussiness class at the saver rate for trips we want to take. this most includes lax-europe. but i can oftern find 2 tickets in bussiness class for the saver rate, with aa the saver rate one way is 50k the standard rate is 100k, if i can get two tickets at saver rate plusa one ticket at standard rate i now pay 200k for one way to europe, more than the best deal whick is 150k but much less than 300k.
    hope that clears it up, but i always book 2 one ways as soon as the tickets become available to make sure i dont get shut out, also i am much more concerned getting business class lax-europe for the over night htan i am on the return, but have always seemd to also find business on the return also.

8. govtmule

govtmule Active Member

Status Points:
    That makes sense.
    Thanks!