Book AA economy award and upgrade later?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by loungelizard, Jan 12, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. loungelizard

loungelizard Active Member

Status Points:
    It seems that business or first award space to EZE doesn't open until a week or two before departure. Can I book 2 economy award tickets ( hope the business/first seats open later) and call to upgrade to those awards without fees - just using more miles?

We want 2 business/first tickets from WAS to BUE for next December and I can't find anything this far out with AA miles.

Any other airlines I should be looking at too?

Thanks!

daninstl and MX like this.
  2. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not possible on us airways I just called and tried mile upgrades not available on an award ticket.. They did say I can upgrade for $259 each way for PHL-LHR if available 24 hours before departure

daninstl and MX like this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    With AA miles, you'd be looking at a change fee unless you're an EXP.

Try to find space on AA to other S. American hub airports (ex. LIM, SCL) than continuing space to EZE on LAN. If not, try to find space on LAN from one of their N. American destinations to EZE. Worst case scenario, see if there's space on AA to Brazil then get a separate paid ticket to EZE. However, I'm not sure if you will need a visa for Brazil if transiting.

daninstl, MX and zphelj like this.
  4. chaotix

chaotix Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    daninstl, loungelizard, MX and 2 others like this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    This correct however the OP should note that his plan would be workable under the current (and quite new) mechanics of AA inventory release. Nobody seems to know if the current situation is how AA will be making award and upgradable instruments available in the future.
    In the past the safest modus operandi was to attempt to secure the upgrades at the time of booking, if they do return to the previous method/system your plan may not work since Dec-Late Feb is the busiest season for travel to EZE.

If you go the route as you outline setting up notifications on EP would be an absolute necessity.

daninstl and loungelizard like this.
  6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I'm guessing that I won't likely be able to upgrade from business to first on a flight I have in June even after the programs merge without paying more $$$'s. Not sure it matters for me but just an interesting thought.

7. loungelizard

loungelizard Active Member

Status Points:
    I am a week out from the 330 days and started seeing a few LAN flights from MIA-LIM-EZE in business class. If I am correct, I would have to pay extra points for this because it goes through SA1 to SA2 from the US. Would you consider booking this or the economy flights with the hope of upgrading. I also didn't mention that my real goal is USH but I don't think I will find an award there so plan on buying an coach ticket if needed.

BTW, the LAN flights only seem to show up for a day or two...

8. ghstudio

ghstudio Member

Status Points:
    Find some routing between WAS and EZE in business class...with a stopover or two if necessary. Then when AA opens up business class you can just change to the AA flight with no penalty. We just did that to Barcelona...now we're non stop on AA. Alternatively, you can TRY to upgrade an aa economy award to an aa business award and get the fee waived...but you run a high risk of this either not happening or spending many minutes, perhaps hours, trying to find someone who feels empowered to do this.

However a warning....when AA opens up business class they will open it for 2 seats. If you need more, you are going to have a problem. AND, those two seats will show as open and then close, even in the same day and whether or not they are booked. We saw this happen on the MIA-BCN flights. It's gotten to either be very ugly or a game depending on your outlook.

9. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're seeing the seats open up a full 330 days out?

10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lets clear up some misconceptions here :)
    a) AA does not (in fact it rarely does these days and this for a number of years, now) release awards in all classes right at the 330 mark. C class awards if released at all seem to become available closer to 320 days but is all dependent on the route and more importantly RM.
    It should be noted that for a appreciable period recently the only awards available were for less than 30 days from the date of travel.
    b) C class awards are not released in pairs. On the US/EZE route on of the most popular in their system most often or not you may see only one available seat. If it wasn't for the popularity
    you would find four (or more) as is the case of other routes.
    c) Seats don't "show up and close" they either are booked and/or taken out inventory as demand (for paid sets) change. Not sure how anybody here is able to tell if they are booked or not.:)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
    brodyf likes this.