Boo Hoo, I have to fly UA international first class

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Punki, May 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, so I know I won't get any sympathy, but I want to whine anyway. We were originally scheduled to fly LH SEA/FRA on an award ticket but had to switch dates and could only get SEA/IAD/FRA on UA in first. Whaaaaaaaaaaaa. I am so sad.

No caviar for me. :(

miketown likes this.
  2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are so many worse things in life than UA International F. You're not in coach, you're not paying for it, and you get to go to Europe. Is there really much to be sad over? I'd personally be schoolgirl giddy over a trip like that.

bez7, FlyingFree and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  3. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    SK don't fly that route anymore, for some time now. Anyhow, it would have been a better experience than UA imho :)

sobore likes this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's an outrage... you should demand some compensation. :)

why fly, FlyingFree and santafefran like this.
  5. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know Mackieman, and I am thrilled with our trip, but it did make me sad to have to give up the LH caviar. ;)

We will be flying on to Rome from Frankfurt and then taking a 12-day cruise of the Mediterraean. Joe is especially happy because we will be stopping in Split where he has relatives he has never met. In fact, we are thinking of just getting off the ship in Split and staying there to visit family, rather than sailing on to Venice and then going back to Split again to fly home. We have been to Venice and somehow being there in July just doesn't appeal to me.

Truth be told the idea of Southern Europe in July doesn't really have much appeal but the opportunity was just too good to pass up. I can deal with the heat for two weeks.

We do have LH on our return trip which is from Split to Munich and then on the Chicago and Seattle, so I can have my caviar then.

6. baccarat_guy
    Original Member

baccarat_guy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pack your own in your carry-on. My suggestion, LINK.
    or, if you are in a 'splurgy' mood : Petrossian!

Just don't forget the blinis, and a mother of pearl spoon (but, everyone has those anyway... as only uncivilized folks don't serve caviar at dinner parties at least a few times a year).

UA FIRST FAs should be cordial about 'plating it' for you.....

and, ENJOY! :D

7. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally I'd be more upset about not getting into the FCL at FRA ;)

8. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA int'l F means good hard product and, based on my 2011 experience, about an 80%+ chance of extremely poor service. Food is the same as business class for the most part, with the addition of a soup course, one more entree choice, and a somewhat larger salad.

On my NRT-SFO F flight yesterday, a small snack menu with actual real snacks showed up (not just bags of Sun chips and pretzels). Curiously, on the longer outbound flight a week earlier, no such offering was made. I think it was most likely because the FA's didn't want to be bothered.

9. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
  10. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The new F hard products is good. The old F hard product on the 777 is okay. The seats are getting really beaten up, to the point of being uncomfortable sometimes and the IFE is meh.

I haven't really had many complaints about the service in intn'l F on UA on the handful of flights I've done up front. It's not on the level of the good Asian carriers, but for the most part hasn't been hugely below the grade of the European carriers I've flown in terms of efficiency and friendliness. Certainly nothing I'd call "bad" and in a few cases it has been downright great.

Note though that my standard routine on any international flight is to eat, have a few drinks with dinner, and then go immediately to sleep. I think many of the complaints about UA service come from a lack of continuing service during the "long hours" and I wouldn't be in a position to observe that.

The real travesty of UA F is the catering. The food and drinks fall below the C cabin service on most intn'l carriers.

eponymous_coward likes this.
  11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just did SFO-NRT in UA F. I concur with Misplaced Texan- UA's service seemed fine enough to me (though given how many reports I've heard about poor service and inconsistency, I suspect I got a good crew). The purser was chatty and nice, and my water was being filled without being asked considerably more than on NH C on the NRT-HKG leg (I didn't sleep much during the flight, so I saw the crew doing lots of cabin passes). Yeah, the NH (well, actually NQ) attendants were young 20-to-30-somethings, but I don't care as much for that as for feeling cared for.

And yes, the catering? Not terribly impressive. Oh well. I liked the Japanese meal better than what I got on NH C, though (though that flight is shorthaul).

12. harry0233
    Original Member

harry0233 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been watching SEA-FRA F inventory recently and IME they are widely available around 2 weeks from departure date. you should keep an eye on it:)

13. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or you could fly to Hong Kong. Spotted in the airport... a caviar bar. Pictures later.

14. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about YVR or YYC? IIRC both have LH F cabin A340 series aircraft. Though might not be released until closer to flight. I need some new inflight PJs so will be booking LH F next week to connect me with my TK Comfort Class flights in October. (Though might try to get on one of the new cabin 744s or an LX flight.)

why fly and Flyer1976 like this.
  15. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had caviar on my LH F flight SFO-FRA last month. Let me share some. :D
    I booked 8 days out so maybe you still have hope that something will open up.

[​IMG]

16. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tom, I think I would have to change the routing. Does LH fly IAD/FRA?

17. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, twice a day except Sunday (747 and 333 service). They also fly to Munich from IAD.

18. UAL4life

UAL4life Member

Status Points:
    What ever you do, at least get the new-ish UA product. But I agree downgrade from LH is pretty cruddy.

19. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    LH opens up a lot more F seats the week before departure. At minimum, you should be able to route via IAD closer to your departure date.

20. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. If I were traveling in a reward and my only choices were UA F and UA new C, I would choose UA new C. I might even choose UA old C, depending in the length of the flight.

UA new F hard product is nice, though.

21. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    LH flies out of the B terminal, and you can enjoy the LH Senator lounge, good food, and then board the plane. If you can get LH F out of IAD, I highly recommend this option.

22. milepig
    Original Member

milepig Silver Member

Status Points:
    What are those two little bits of caviar doing hiding under the [OMG is that a LIME?!?!]. Are there no standards anymore??

If you luck out you'll get the amazing FRA-based FA in UA F who made my recent flight a sheer pleasure.

23. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Put some white stuff in the middle of all that black, and you have a black and white. :p

SC Flier likes this.
  24. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
  25. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I don't get it. Is there that much a difference between the two? Just asking out of curiosity since I have only flown UA C on an international flight. :)