Boo Booking.com

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by jojim, Feb 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jojim

jojim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whelp, I guess I'm not staying in Austin next January for $12 a night in a suite. I'm sure many others got a similar email...

ForumRunner_20140216_132203.png

2. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In "reaching a middle ground", as they say, they could have reached a middle price, too! They're just offering $20 off a night.

jojim and traveltoomuch like this.
  3. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    That really stinks. I'm just curious. For how long was the reservation booked before you received the notice? Not that it should matter, but how quickly they caught it would be interesting to know.

As the owner of an online business, this is a great example of why we honor our mistakes if it is financial and not just an issue of availability. Obviously this room is available in January of next year, and I'm sure they couldn't have filled all the suites at $12/night this far in advance. The correct response should have been to notify you of the mistake, along with an acknowledgment thanking you that you helped them resolve a pricing issue. IMHO, you helped them fix something that would have cost them no more than $87. They absolutely should have honored it.

"Boo" is right!

MSYgirl likes this.
  4. jojim

jojim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haha! I love your way of thinking! I booked it around Feb 3. I noticed the mistake fare so I just booked a random weekend to see what would happen. Oh well, it was fun booking it and hoping it'd go through.... Like my $392 trip to Israel last year!!! You win some you lose some :)

MSYgirl likes this.
  5. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tend to agree with jojim's perspective. Some hotels may choose to honor the mistake rates, others may choose not to, I would be happy if they do (and I have benefited from some in the past), but if not, some do offer points in lieu of any travel schedule changes for the traveller in return or offer a discounted rate, that's good too. if the hotel decides not to honor with time to spare before the stay, well, it's their choice...win some, lose some..

Of course if the hotel cancels at the very last minute then more reason that they should honor the mistake rate..

jojim and LETTERBOY like this.