Bonus Offer for repeat customer

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by boater07, Nov 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. boater07

boater07 New Member

Status Points:
    Just read the fine print on a new card that indicates bonus not available if prior cardholder.
    I had cancelled a card about 6 months ago and applied again. Hate to spend 3K in ist 3 months
    and not get the reward.
    Anyone caught up in this type of thing?

satman40 likes this.
  2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    No one is "caught up" in these things. Some cards permit churning. Some don't.

satman40 likes this.
  3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint, boater07!

Different cards have different rules, as Bay Pisco Shark mentions, and even then the rules change from time to time.

If you can tell us which card you're talking about, perhaps someone has a recent experience that could guide you.

satman40 likes this.
  4. jimster

jimster Silver Member

Status Points:

5. jimster

jimster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was recently denied the bonus on a AMEX Delta card because I had it several years ago. That was bad enough but even worse was that AMEX didn't even deal with me. They routed the calls to India for the Delta card. I felt if I could have talked to a real AMEX rep I would have at least gotten a hearing.

satman40 likes this.
  6. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amex changed the rules, not too long ago, but they still have many cards they offer.

Chase wait 2 years,

Citi, is also tighting up.

Too many in the game, the points are being devalued., they will also raise the spend to keep the smaller spenders out.

MS will close the doors also, It is just a matter of time., but it has been fun,

7. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not quite sure what a call routed to India has anything to do with this. Besides, there is no "due process" available with regards to a "hearing." The script for a North America call center is the same, it is just not as stiff in its presentation.

8. jimster

jimster Silver Member

Status Points:
    The comment about India relates to the fact that it is my experience that I have difficulty understanding them and they have difficulty understanding me. Often the connection is hard to hear and what goes for common sense and logic in the USA doesn't seem to be the same there- nor should it be we have different cultures. Furthermore, while I believe the script is probably the same, I don't think the flexibility exists when these matters are outsourced. Hence, I don't like being routed to India.

9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aren't we being a bit xenophobic here ....are you actually saying just because you live in the USA you have better common sense and able to see things more logically than somebody in India??
    How can you be sure the service rep was not a naturalized American citizen.

Over 33 years and perhaps 10-12 different Amex cards I have never once encountered anyone with an Indian accent in fact I doubt American Express uses India call centers for US members.

10. jimster

jimster Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, I am not. I didn't say better, I said they use different logic etc. I didn't make a value judgement Newbluesea did. The other point is AMEX does not deal with this- they transfer you to India and Delta. You call AMEX but they refuse to deal with anything connected to skymiles. How do I know it is India? Well, despite the fact I talked to 6 people all with Indian accents, you also get these walkie talkie type responses. They press and hold the button and you can hear it cut off. Then you speak and it is the same. Even if it were a transfer in the USA, I find that type of call very annoying. BTW I also have had many AMEX cards and yes, this is the first time I have had this. I even asked several initial contacts at AMEX "can't you deal with this?" The response each time was "No, I have to transfer the call."

11. restonva

restonva Active Member

Status Points:
    MMS just did a roundup of repeat bonuses today.

12. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    To me they are just like cell phone companies. You'd think they would figure out a way to keep current customers and they know it's cheaper to retain than to get new ones.