Bonus for not canceling Citibank advantage card

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Emos-closet, Jun 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Emos-closet
    Original Member

Emos-closet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just called to cancel my Citibank advantage world mastercard which has an annual fee of $85. Their offer: credited my account the $85 fee for not canceling. They also gave me 750 point bonus per month for spending 750 per month. I can get the bonus every month for the next 12 months. Thats 18000 points for $9000 spend.

Not too shabby..anybody else get a better deal?

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did they offer this right away, or did you ask for a retention bonus? And what was your spending pattern in the past? I am thinking of canceling my AA card when the next annual fee comes due; maybe I should start using it for a while so they'll consider me worth retaining :)

3. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    For me they gave me credit for the fee after I used the card five times. I don't think it cost me more than $50 in spending. I had used the card often for a while, but not at all for a good six months before the renewal date.

stan likes this.
  4. Emos-closet
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I did not ask for anything when I called, it was just offered. I had not spend anything on the card in the last 6 months and prior to that my balance was pretty minimal. I think I just paid my monthly data plan with it...$25 a month.

5. jasher926

jasher926 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this is a variant of a similar offer they gave me when I tried to cancel. I had to do 15 transactions each month (any amount) and they would give me 750 bonus points each month for 12 months.

6. Emos-closet
    Original Member

Status Points:
    FYI, I Also called to cancel my Amex gold business card the same day with a $125 annual fee. Was offered a measly 2500 membership reward points. I canceled the card.

7. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    A few days ago I went to cancel 4 citi cards i did not ask for anything they offered
    1) went to cancel a citi visa platinum that i use of an on and off--spend 10-15000 a year on it --- gave me "0"
    2) " " " " '' business never use gave me 2500 now my fee not due till aug--will cancel then
    3)" " " " master card never use it waived the fee of 85.00 and offered spend 500.00 get 1000 points for next 16 months( strange they picked 16 months!

4) have a very old gold visa no fee ever have not used in years gave 3000 miles if spend 500.00

travelinmike33 likes this.
  8. jk2
    Original Member

jk2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got 3K AA miles for spending $500 in 3 months, one time bonus. Then they told me I can call again (ask for retention department) and they will give a new bonus - 3 AA miles for $1. It seems they try to do their best to keep you as cardholder.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did they wave the annual fee, though?

10. jk2
    Original Member

jk2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know, since annual fee is not due October. But according to some posts on FlyerTalk, they offer $85 credit after 5 purchases, that covers an annual fee.

11. jmhuth

jmhuth Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called to cancel my AMEX citi premier called to cancel & they offered 6x the points on gas, grocery, drug purchases (we were getting 5x) and 3x the points on all other spend....They also waived the $125 fee.. Unfortunately I'm not able to take full advantage at the moment because I'm trying to reach the spend on our AA advantage cards to get the 75,000 points....

12. Vik Murthy
    Original Member

Vik Murthy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called to indicate that I was "thinking of cancelling" my Citi AA business Visa credit card today. The retention offer was a 10,000 AA mile bonus if I make $5,000 in purchases in the next 6 months.

13. spesalvi

spesalvi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I still have my Citi Adv MC from 08/09 I think and each year I call to cancel, they offer to waive my fee but last year, in order to waive my fee I had to make like 5 transactions or spend $500 I forget which, I will update in Oct when my card is up for the annual year =p