Bonus categories Surpass card

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by deant, Jan 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Has anyone noticed that the application page for the Surpass card eliminated many of the bonus spending categories? Specifically drug stores and wireless /Internet providers are no longer bonus categories.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    edekba likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps Amex $340 million write-off/loss from award miles cards at work here?

MX, PointsCashMiles and kyunbit like this.
  4. PointsCashMiles

PointsCashMiles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems like it could be but I'm hoping its just a mistake... I still miss when restaurants were a bonus category.

HaveMilesWillTravel and SC Flier like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. And that change applied to existing card holders, so am fully expecting a notification in the mail any day now.

I have had this card for years... And used it to the tune of $20k last year. Don't think I'll repeat that this year with this change (and no, no Vanilla purchases for me).

6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think technically since we have the existing bonus structure, the 6x to markets, pharms, etc still are in effect. Until they announce and notify us of course...

7. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Last night I sent a secure message to AMEX asking about the bonus categories (wife had just received this card a couple of weeks ago so I used her account). The response was:

Dear Ms. DeanT, I am sorry for the inconvenience caused. Yes, you will continue to earn 6 Hilton HHonors bonus points for every dollar of eligible purchases: -At U.S. stand-alone supermarkets -At select major drugstores -On gasoline at U.S. stand-alone gas stations -For U.S. wireless and home telephone, cable TV, and satellite TV services I hope that I have provided excellent service and handled your inquiry to your satisfaction. We value your 23 years of association with us and will always consider it a privilege to be of service. Have an excellent day. Sincerely,

So it appears, for the time being, to be a glitch in the AMEX application wording. Let's hope they continue the bonus categories.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It would also have to be a glitch in the terms and conditions legalese below the application. Somehow I am not convinced that they accidentally rewrote it. Perhaps published too early, before the CSRs were told?

edekba likes this.
  9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://boardingarea.com/blogs/frequ...-to-drop-drug-stores-telecom-bonus-categories

Guess we will be getting notices real soon

PointsCashMiles likes this.