Bonita Springs woman reports $10,000 in jewelry stolen from luggage during Las Vegas flight

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by sobore, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2011/feb/16/bonita-springs-delta-airlines-luggage/

A Bonita Springs woman says she is missing jewelry, a camera and medications worth thousands after taking from an airline flight on Halloween from Nevada to Fort Myers.
    According to a Lee County Sheriff's Office report:
    Rosemarie Obrien-Clark Rhodes, 54,of the 24000 block of Dietz Drive, told deputies she has been trying to work with the federal Transportation Safety Administration and Delta Airlines about the missing items.
    It was not clear in the report why she waited until Tuesday to report the incident to local authorities. Rhodes said she flew from Las Vegas, Nev., and had a stop in Atlanta, Ga., prior to arriving at 8:30 p.m. in Fort Myers. She noticed the items missing when she arrived home.

2. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always carry anything of value on the plane with me. People should be a bit more protective of their valuables. Even if the items were not stolen, enough luggage is mishandled ever week to cause one to be concerned about the chance of loss.

3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    It always surprises me the things people put in checked luggage. Even after all the press coverage of people losing thousands of dollars. If someone steals or loses my luggage I just go to Wal-Mart with $70 and replace my wardrobe.[​IMG]

4. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also saw in the news about some guy who had like 100+K cash in his luggage, and some TSA workers stole -- I think it was 40K.

Who puts 100K in cash in a checked suitcase? [​IMG]

5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe him?
    [​IMG]

tahewett, Randy Petersen and pjoalfa like this.
  6. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even he wouldn't be dumb enough to check 100K.
    I have zero sympathy for the woman in the OP, it's beyond stupid to check 10 thousand bucks worth of jewlery...which could probably fit in a pocket, much less a carry-on.

tahewett likes this.
  7. tahewett
    Original Member

tahewett Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Recently went to Thailand and got a few expensive (relatively. not $10k worth, though) "sparklies" for the wife and a few for our mothers. Bought new luggage to bring back other souvenirs for family and those were checked, but somehow we found room in our carry-ons for the jewelry.

8. Cosmos Human
    Original Member

Cosmos Human Silver Member

Status Points:
    A+

9. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember being at SEA one morning and some kid had $1000+ in cash that he dumped in the TSA bin to go through the scanner. The guard handed it back and told him to keep it on him. I don't know if he was going to Vegas or Macau (he was Asian) but it was bizzarre he would not only carry that much cash but openly show it to everyone.