Bon voyage, BlackBerry

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Jul 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjournals/blog/seat2B/2012/07/biz-travelers-hang-up-on-blackberry.html

It's time to admit the painfully obvious: At least from the business traveler's perspective, the BlackBerry is history. It is swiftly going the way of paper airplane tickets, fax machines, dual-time watches, world-band radios and dozens of other tools and tricks that once seemed an integral part life on the road.

As BlackBerry's share of the smartphone market evaporates, the parent company, Research In Motion (RIM) of Canada, has fallen and seems unable to get up. It has pushed back the release of its newest operating system until early next year. Besides, the first phones based on the BlackBerry 10 system won't even have physical keyboards. A new BlackBerry with a new operating system and an external keypad may not arrive until next summer.

Read More: http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjournals/blog/seat2B/2012/07/biz-travelers-hang-up-on-blackberry.html

mht_flyer, jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sad, but true!:(

3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've owned 3 blackberry's for work. The first one was solid (years ago, was only GPRS) -- second one was ok, the last one Blackberry Bold -- nothing bold about it. A huge piece of garbage, that crashed, had JVM errors and was just awful -- the plastics used were junk and easy to break. I used three apps, the email, Microsoft Communicator for Blackberry and Blackberry travel.

GOOD RIDDANCE TO RUBBISH...

Much happier with my Samsung Galaxy SII. (Unfortunately SIII wasn't available from T-Mobile at the time I changed the phone). The apps are better and I use a whole lot more of the phone's features than I ever did with the Bberry.

sobore likes this.
  4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing sad about it :)

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only RIM device I ever owned was the 950

[​IMG]

I was a big Palm fan back then, but the ability to receive emails any time really was nice. And I wasn't a corporate user -- paid for the device and service myself. I still have it somewhere in a box.

Bluto, mht_flyer and sobore like this.
  6. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's a Blackberry? ;)

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I dunno, but I do expect delivery of a Raspberry today :)

YULtide likes this.
  8. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

mht_flyer likes this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be careful of short memories though... :)

It was not two decades ago that Apple was near bankruptcy. Microsoft was supposedly going out of business with the antitrust probes started, then when they paid hundreds of millions of dollars in fines and were forced to give users browser choices.

And today both companies are raking in the profits and kicking all kinds of ass in the technology sector, mostly because they reinvented themselves.

RIM is in the crapper and they certainly lost focus after getting greedy and trying to go after the consumer market too heavily -- to compete with Apple, Google, MS and at the time Nokia and Moto. But RIM has billions in the bank, a rather hefty patent portfolio and a significant (if declining) customer base.

They'll do fine if they play their cards right, even though that's a big if. But I wouldn't discount any technology company nowadays... I wouldn't wanna be the guy that sold his Apple stock back in 1990 instead of holding it. :)

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Apple: good example
    Microsoft: perhaps not such a good example

viguera likes this.
  11. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope mine holds out long enough for (1) the end of the contract period (soon), and (2) a selection of Verizon 4G world phones.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like I said, they've been writing Microsoft's obituary for the better part of the last decade. And quarter after quarter you see crazy profits -- with the exception of the last one, because of that ridiculous $6 billion write-down.

And write-down notwithstanding, they had $18 billion in revenue and $6 billion in earnings last quarter. The previous one? Just about the same, as was the one before that and the one before, and the year before, etc.

It's difficult for a company that makes things and has cash in hand and a strong patent portfolio to just go out of business. They can sell assets or parts of its business (like IBM did with Lenovo) and refocus, and still be around for decades.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Oh sure, I am not predicting Microsoft's imminent demise. They have so much cash that they throw a billion or two at many projects and have most of them fail.

But all that profitability and huge revenue engine that is Windows/Office hasn't helped them all that much with Wallstreet over the last decade. Look at their stock curve.

14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well you could argue that Microsoft has actually been more willing to hand out some of that surplus cash, paying a dividend every year since the last stock split in 2003 -- something Apple stopped doing while Clinton was in office, content to sit on their stockpile of cash while their stock skyrockets if it wasn't for pressure from investors to pay a dividend this year.

And while the MS stock curve looks relatively dismal compared to say Apple, if you go back to the IPO and had the discipline to hold the stock you'd be sitting on 8,000% profit. If you were a pre-IPO investor then it would be 20k percent.

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Don't have to compare it to Apple. Just compare to the S&P 500 or NASDAQ for the last 10 years.

If I had bought MSFT at the IPO (or earlier) and held the stock, I probably wouldn't bother frequenting this site. :D

IDGflygirl likes this.