Bombs in Bangkok (small but people hurt)

Discussion in 'Asia' started by estnet, Jan 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    There have been some disturbing events today

1 a cameraman threatened and rescued by coworkers

2 bombings and gunfire at protest sites. http://t.co/Z4qwdbZ7rr

3. Reports of bomb and injuries. https://mobile.twitter.com/search/?q=#Bangkok&s=hash

4. A grenade tossed within 30 meters of Suthep, with different reports of numbers injured

Richard barrows tweets are reporting this with links, events now occurring during the day. It's getting dangerous out there!

2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Suthep is now accusing the government of being behind the grenade, etc.

It would be funny if it weren't so tragically serious.

3. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow and I will be sorting out flights later into Bangkok for May.. hmm but last time I went to Thailand there were riots, and it all managed to subside by the time of travel,so hopefully it will all be calm once more!

4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    So hard to predict. This afternoon a anti-government leader was shot. Yesterday there was a march to an area that had been relatively deserted Pratanum. A LOT of people, a lot of NOISE, traffic blocked, and an hour later you'd never know anything had happened. Glad I wasn't caught in a taxi for that hour!

Lots of Thai people are being hurt due to loss of income so sure hope its calmer by May, or a lot sooner!

5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Our friends are there right now, no face book postings beyond a nice suite upgrade.

MSYgirl likes this.
  6. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:

I ended up booking my flights and hotel in Bangkok, won't be going until end of May, so hopefully settled by then. I had read it was due to elections coming up in Feb, unsure why so much anger and the marches and why the need for bombs and shooting, but hopefully will resolve itself soon!

MSYgirl likes this.
  7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could spend years studying Thai politics and still not understand it I think;).

I would be very surprised if things aren't totally settled down by May ( but I've been surprised before), until the the next time the cycle repeats in a few years.