Bolivia furious over search of President’s plane for whistleblower Edward Snowden

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by uggboy, Jul 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Bolivia furious over search of President’s plane for whistleblower Edward Snowden ||

The US has obviously played "pressure tactics" with Portugal and France IMHO. It's sad that a man who tells the "bitter" truth faces charges in the supposed to be "free and democratic" US of A.

Stand with Edward Snowden:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/stop_prism_global/?fp
    "Avaaz is inspiring… it has already made a significant difference."​
    –Al Gore

MX, marcwint55 and Kalboz like this.
  2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The French Embassy in La Paz just got attacked!

marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the update, Kalboz.

Looks like someone organized direct action. While I'm totally against violence, it is important to look into why France reacted like this, I guess, because the USA pressured them into their behavior. So, I think the US has more to hide than they say, and yes, Snowdon knows this, but then he knows the truth too, that's why the US wants to get him in the first place.

Kalboz likes this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

If they had shot down the plane it would have been no great loss. Read some of the quotes from the moron who is about as anti-american as it gets. It is truly amazing that someone that stupid can lead a country. As the first elected indigenous leader in Bolivia, he could have been an inspiration for all indigenous peoples instead of being known for some of the dumbest quotes ever made by a leader.

Kalboz and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hard to believe Bolivia is furious over an Austrian search of the Morales' plane, since the Bolivians are stating that the plane was not, in fact, searched.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    :-/

If dumb statements were a justification for shooting down presidential airplanes, we'd probably have needed a new set of aircraft for AF1 during the last administration.

There are a lot of conflicting statements and bits of information floating around. According to Austrian media reports I have read, the foreign and interior ministries in Vienna have confirmed that the plane was searched by Austrian immigration agents (not forcibly) and that the passengers' passports were checked.

The episode, IMO, continues to damage the image of the US as the general perception is that the European countries were pushed towards denying the Bolivian aircraft access to their airspace by the US. Kind of surprising, actually, that Hollande would play along. Would definitely be interesting to listen to the ATC exchange.

zphelj, uggboy, Kalboz and 1 other person like this.
  7. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    These are the reports that the Bolivians are denying. I don't claim to have any knowledge about who is correct and who isn't, but the statement "We're outraged about a search of our plane which we deny ever took place" is clearly not logically sustainable.

8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am very upset about the things you said about my wife, which I deny you said. ;)

marcwint55 and Kalboz like this.
  9. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was a total act of air piracy and in-you-face disrespect to another sovereign nation.

One has to dig deep as to why this "moron" is making so many "dumb" anti-American statements to really understand what's going on. As with everything else in nature, to every action there is a reaction and his anti-American sentiments is a reaction to the US government's decades of intervention in his country's internal affairs (from the murder of Che, to CIA toppling their democratically elected Torres government, to Operation Condor, to the recent events in Santa Cruz, etc.) , see here: http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/2011/fuentes180911.html

This dumb moron is democratically elected head of a sovereign state. So, using your same reasoning when other countries disagree with dumb comments made by our leaders (and they have made many of them), they can intercept our planes, search them, or shot them down?

I am not necessarily condoning his rhetoric, but our arrogant acts like the above make other nations hate our government.

uggboy likes this.
  10. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    And pretty much every administration.

See my previous comment.

I maintain the US government is acting like a petulant child over this whole affair. As for Snowden, he should probably contact Robert Amsterdam to find out how the toppled, and formerly passport-less, ex-Thai PM has managed to travel the world. ;)

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  11. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    And it is all done in our name :confused: ... Happy 4th to all!

kwai, marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  12. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    kwai, nice to see you again on MilePoint! :)

kwai and uggboy like this.
  13. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Dublin rejects Snowden arrest plea ||

Glad that the High Court in Dublin rules on this case with common sense, IMHO, no crimes have been committed by Edward Snowden.

NO-ONE should face prison or worse for telling the truth.

Kalboz likes this.