bogota, columbia for the weekend

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by marcwint55, May 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm flying to Bogota next weekend and would like any information on things that I should not miss while I am there. Good restaurant advice would also be welcome.

sobore and Sweet Willie like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flying to Colombia for the weekend? Are you planning to bring back anything special?????

aptraveler and Sky King like this.
  3. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Make sure to visit:
    • Museo del Oro (Gold Museum)- very impressive
    • Botero Museum- worth a visit
    • National Police Museum- free entry, guided tour, lots of interesting items on display
    • Try to wander around and look for the statues on top of buildings
    Go for breakfast at La Puerta Falsa- get the hot chocolate with cheese & watch how the locals eat it.

We really enjoyed Bogota and would've liked an extra day there. Enjoy!

aptraveler and marcwint55 like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    thank you for the excellent recommendations

MLW20 likes this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    just miles and memories

6. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are very welcome! In terms of things to eat, the street vendors sell some really great, fresh snacks. Check them out.

marcwint55 likes this.
  7. HouseofV

HouseofV Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where are you staying?

8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hilton Hotel

9. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The new Hilton or the Embassy Suites?

I would suggest you play some Tejo - the national sport [Google it]

Go to Monseratte, the church up on the hill

Walk around and explore. Some of the nicest folks I've met are have been in Colombia.

Take a bus - somewhere/anywhere

Be careful at night.

eat eat and eat. And drink coffee. The "traditional" place on Florida serving cheese and hot chocolate isn't that great.

The Hilton and the ES are both near carrera 7. There are some neat bars/restaurants going in the direction from the Hilton to the ES - not sure if that is N, S E or W? but that way down & brings you to some interesting places.

Aguila roja beer is not very strong but it refreshing.

And the Spanish is perfect. I thought I had forgotten almost everything but the way Spanish is spoken in Colombia made it all come flowing back. I understood a lot more that I ever thought I would remember.

Please report on the Hilton [if that is where you will be] as on the ES was open on my last trips

Cheers

10. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the helpful advice. I will be staying at the new Hilton and I will be happy to review it for all who are interested

11. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would love to see your review. In past, I have stayed near Parque 93 and would love some other options. As for restaurants, I have never heard anyone say anything but great things about Andres Carne de Res and there is a location in the zone rosa.

marcwint55 likes this.
  12. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the info. Watch for the post early next week.

jparker likes this.
  13. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also, on restaurant front, El Gato Negro in Parque 93 is good especially if they have music. Last time I was there, they were between bands. Usually more of an acoustic, pop type act.

marcwint55 likes this.
  14. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just checked out of the new Hilton yesterday morning. This was my second visit. I absolutely love that hotel. Wait until you experience the showers. Wow! The service is always first rate, too.

The Pargo on the menu downstairs has some kind of Caribbean sauce that they bake it in, and it is to die for. They were out this weekend. :-( My girlfriend had some kind of Caribbean chicken that was great, while my chicken was forgettable.

There is a little market on the right if you walk toward the Centro Comercial near the hotel. They have the best Colombian Empanadas I've ever eaten. It's on the corner right across the street from the Centro Comercial (Mall).

For a variety of great food of almost any culture, visit Zona T and Parque 93. Both offer great variety, environment and people-watching. Andre's Care de Res is said to be really good, but I have not yet tried it personally. Zona G has a lot of boutique restaurants. Can't remember the name of the Zona G Italian joint I dined in Saturday night, but the ambiance and food were both top shelf.

It's just hard to go wrong in Bogota. I love it! If a coffee drinker, bring home plenty of Oma! and Juan Valdez. They are as good as Costa Rican coffee, although stronger and a uniquely individual flavor. Don't miss the chance to share it with your friends, even if you don't partake.

Have fun!

jparker and marcwint55 like this.
  15. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the fantastic travel tips. I am looking forward to experiencing bogota for the very first time.

16. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Presently in the admiral's club in Bogota. The Hilton hotel was fantastic in almost all aspects. The suite upgrade was very nice, the club lounge has food and drinks almost all day long, and the people working there were fantastic. The only problem was not getting my wake up call this morning. Fortunately I woke up in time and the front desk said they think there is a problem with the automated wake-up equipment. The highlight of my weekend in Bogota, was a trip to the Cathedral de Sal. An underground salt mine was converted to a cathedral with unbelievable craftsmanship. One room has a huge cross made of salt that looks cylindrical from one location, but when you go down to it, you can see that it is actually recessed in the wall. If anyone is in Bogota, I would make the drive to the town of Zipaquira if you don't want to miss something absolutely breathtaking.

17. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bogata has been on my list of places to see for sometime. Have read the US State Departments warnings about the country/city, as safety is most important to me as I am an "old guy", and for those that have been there, is there a problem during the day and early evening?

18. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had absolutely no problems other than the hotel advising me to wear my gold chain inside my shirt. I don't think it would have been a problem either way. I took a pleasant walk on the streets last night and felt very secure. There are multitudes of police all over the place and they are very cognizant about security. The food was very reasonable and eveyone I met there was as pleasant and accomodating as could be. In my prior post I mentioned the Cathedral de Sal, and it is worth flying there just to see it. I would also highly recommend going to Montseratte. The views are spectacular and the church while not ornate, is worth seeing. There are also a few restaurants up there with fantastic city views. I made the mistake of taking the cable car up and then finding out that the train only takes people up. If you want to experience the train going through the mountain tunnel, take it up and then take the cable car down. A roundtrip ticket is good on either one. The old town (Candileria) has beautiful buildings and the house where the revolution for independence started in 1810 is also very worthwhile.

sfo1 likes this.