BofA retention

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by 98mike, Feb 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. 98mike

98mike Silver Member

Status Points:
    I couldn't find any retention data points on BofA.

I just cancelled my Virgin Atlantic because of a long running points dispute, they just refused to budge despite being dead wrong on the math of my spend. However no attempt at retention at all. That's fine, I mean, it's not like a Chase line where I could swap or that it's a bank that tracks apps and closes like the others in a way that will hurt. Just curious what other experience is with retention with BofA. I have to assume their algorithms make the call on saves. I could see where Im not a save based on current inquiries, opens, etc.

2. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    What was the substance of your dispute with them? And depending on how long running and/or heated the dispute was, that may have had something to do with why they didn't make more of an effort to retain you.

3. 98mike

98mike Silver Member

Status Points:
    Long running in terms of 2 weeks for this reply, 4 weeks for that, 6 for another... It went on since October. My math took me over their 2500 spend, well past, in under 60 days (not their 90). They dispute it stating I was $26 short. My math based on statements and not including fee or returns to hit the spend, shows I fulfilled the commitment. By at least $400. They keep stating I did not but won't tell me how our math differs and why their number doesn't match mine. If I failed to do my part I'd fess up, Nothing gained in screaming for the heck of it. They totally just would not show me why our math didn't mesh. It was ridiculous.
    Oh, I'll reapply someday soon. There is a Hilton in Orlando that is counting on it. This was my first BofA rewards card.

4. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you have a checking account with BofA? I am thinking that if you are a regular customer (or not), visiting them in person at a branch might work. A face to face with a local person might get a better result then a phone arguement with someone, somewhere around the world. Just a thought.