BofA reneged on annual fee waiver

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Feb 8, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ten days ago I called Bank of America to close my Hawaiian Airlines VISA card. I was connected to the retention department, who offered a fee waiver ($79) if I agreed to keep the card. I agreed.

Today I look at my online account and I don't see any credit for the annual fee. So I call again. First agent has no clue what I am talking about. Forwards me to another agent, who insists that they never waive annual fees on this card. States she doesn't know why I was told otherwise on the previous call. Offers to switch to a different card without fee (no interest). I told her to close the account as I have no desire to keep it open at this point.

MX likes this.
  2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems like recently the Annual Fee waiver shows up as a 'Statement Credit' or at least it has on my AA cards.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but it didn't post as a statement credit either.

4. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has the statement closed or are you just checking on line. Mine never shows up until the Statement actually closes (and I receive a paper statement).

(In my retail business, I often have to check for customers that say that they have been charged twice, because they immediately check on-line to check their balance. There is usually a "pending" and a charge in that case. Anyways, Statement Credits are posted monthly.)

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    With Bank of America?

My statement hasn't closed yet. It will close next week when I am traveling.

Here's how the conversation went:

Me: Hello, 10 days ago I was offered an annual fee credit if I agreed to keep the card. I don't see that on my account online.
    BofA: Can you hold for a minute while I research that, please
    BofA: I am sorry, we never waive the annual for this type of card.

It wasn't "it will post when the statement closes." The answer was very clearly "no fee credit ever, period."

It's not a card I really care about, so it's gone now. One less card to monitor. Life's getting simpler. The only point of this thread is to make others aware of the fact that you may not get what a retention agent promises you whether it's an honest mistake or due to a blatant lie to meet the retention quota.

I am familiar with that, of course.

foxberg likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Nice. Just logged into my Barclays account to pay my US Airways card. What do I see there? A new Hawaiian Mastercard assigned to me.

Looking at the account details, it has all the history of my BofA card.

7. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bank of America is closing down all the cards associated with Hawaiian Airlines. Barclay will issue new cards to the current holders of the BoA cards. And the answer is no you won't get the 35,000 bonus miles for the new card.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I knew that. But I didn't expect that BofA would transfer (sell?) my closed account.

9. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was announced a while ago that they'd do that.

10. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was there any balance or pending transactions for the account, they will sell closed accounts that way, Chase sold my sony account to Cap One since I had a balance at the time of transfer.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No balance.

It was announced that they would transfer/sell closed (former) accounts?

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  12. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was announced that all of the BofA HA cards would be turned into Barclays HA cards. I would assume that means all the BofA stuff goes over to Barcalys. Maybe BofA never told Barclays you closed your account, or there was some glitch in sending the info over, or maybe Barcalys still wanted the info for closed accounts to search for potential customers.