Boeing's New 747-8 to Compete With Airbus A-380

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by piqaro, Feb 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Boeing's New 747-8 to Compete With Airbus A-380

http://seekingalpha.com/article/252908-boeing-s-new-747-8-to-compete-with-airbus-a-380

Without question, these are nice aircraft for passengers. Efficient, quite and comfortable.

The A-380 seats over 600 passengers, while the new 8i will likely be seen mostly with under 500. (TBD)
    Despite all other considerations, my question would be; what is the cost per passenger seat mile ?

I generally hold Zacks in high regard, but they still have a sell rating on BA. I had been a bit worried about the 747-8i. There are very few orders. Its been more successful as a freighter. I consider Lufthansa to be one of the best run large airlines in the world from a business standpoint, but that is open to debate. LH is the launch airline customer for the 8i and a good gauge being an A-380 operator. Emirates had commented that they think the reason airlines aren't buying it, is because the 777 better fits this class. I still think there are other reasons, but being efficient and building cash still seems to be the airline game for Q1.

Gaucho and loadera like this.
  2. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it is a much nicer looking plane than the A380. I have always liked 747's

TrueBlueFlyer and Gaucho like this.
  3. I am a little nervous about the A-380 from a safety standpoint. Although both companies were over taxed, Boeing strategically delayed the the 747-8i in a public manner to get the 787 out the door.

Boeing also has held off on re-engine the 737 because they don't have the resources and they believe the customer wants a clean sheet design. I favor the twin row aluminum tube with composite wings, like this guppy.
    [​IMG]
    Airbus on the other hand kept juggling the balls (continues to do so) with several huge projects that were all almost completely new technologies and significantly behind schedule. They keep changing leadership, which doesn't help.

update: I happen to hate single aisle aircraft and avoid them anytime I can. They are less save and generally less comfortable.

Gaucho and JasonH like this.
  4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any major aesthetic changes in the new 747-800..???? Have they stretched it further than a 744..??

5. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    They added 18.3ft to the total length, making it the longest airliner in the world. They also extended the upper deck 13.3 ft.

FlightBlogger has some pictures up at http://www.flickr.com/photos/flightblogger/5442240415/

Gaucho likes this.
  6. Its 85% new airplane, which also introduces risk. I am sure many design aspects are new, while things like doors. handrails or work surfaces are recycled from older designs to save money. Probably anything that needs FAA as a standalone component was avoided, since that is expensive.

It will be nice to fly on it :)

7. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am e
    I am excited to fly on this plane. I hope they put F class up top. A nice lounge like they had in the 70's would be good as well[​IMG]

piqaro likes this.
  8. F on top is only good if they will let them leave the plane first.

How about young hot flight attendants :p That's a throwback to the 70s for big airlines.

9. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow.... does this mean its longer than the A380..?

10. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. The A380 is 240ft long while the 747-8i is 250ft 2in

piqaro likes this.
  11. DanJ
    Original Member

DanJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think one of the 340 models (-600?) is longer than the 380 as well.

piqaro likes this.
  12. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    In what way are single aisle aircraft less safe?

13. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    did they make the nose section longer?

14. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, there's a fuselage plug forward of the wing and another aft of the wing - typical stretch technique.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  15. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    must be the angle of the picture... but that nose looks awfully long from my memory of the B744

piqaro likes this.
  16. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    This diagram shows the plugs. It's from a blog post from a year ago, but the design should have been pretty frozen by then. I don't know the authenticity or origin of this diagram, and I'm finding it hard to link to definitive information quickly, so if anyone has positive confirmation of this it would be welcome.

[​IMG]

TrueBlueFlyer and piqaro like this.
  17. It isn't less safe, i just like it

18. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    thank you globaliser!