Boeing Warns On Flying Bulk Shipments Of Lithium-ion Batteries

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jul 21, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.nasdaq.com/article/boein...pments-of-lithiumion-batteries-20150719-00050

Boeing Co. warned passenger airlines about the dangers of carrying bulk shipments of lithium-ion batteries. It said the batteries can cause fires that are capable of destroying planes

On Friday, the company for the first time issued a formal, across-the-board message explicitly urging passenger carriers world-wide to stop accepting large quantities of the ubiquitous power sources as cargo until more-protective packaging and enhanced shipping procedures are in place.

Read More: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/boein...pments-of-lithiumion-batteries-20150719-00050

Newscience likes this.
  2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is about time that the industry recognized the hazard.....

gaijin62 and anileze like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is not news. The NTSB held hearings on this subject as well as B787 explosions a couple years ago. That was reported here. Special procedures have been in place for li-ions including consumer extra batteries for a while now. There was a UPS B747 that crashed in Dubai in 2010, an Asiana crash in 2011, the B787 quality control issue that made grounding the fleet and redesign of batteries a requirement and several others. Earlier this year both DL and UA banned li-ion shipments and AA imposed limits.

All that has happened here is that Boeing finally, years later, announced taht carriers should be careful. This is a cynical CYA statement.

A number of carriers, users and manufacturers have had careful procedures and packaging in place for years without incident. Some others have cut corners.

If I had not attended the NTSB hearings I might be more willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. But I did. FWIW, there are very well defined and tested processes and procedures that work and work well.

Just check which major users have never had a thermal runaway outside of testing. Check which producers have never had a shipping incident.

Please I do not want to be churlish. However Boeing is one entity that has repeatedly proven how little they know about battery risk factors, production qc, use qc and shipping qc.

sobore, anileze and milchap like this.